MD-2017 White screen

chaseboyer

Premium Subscriber
I have been having an issue with my MD 2017 where when I turn it on all I get is a white screen. The white screen never goes away. My display is ALWAYS a white screen only. I also still cannot connect to my computer. Haven’t been able to connect after the first time I was successful the first day I had it. (Christmas Day) any clue what could be up/possible fixes?

This is a common issue with this radio, the MD380, the GD77 and similar radios from China. The fix is to open the radio and reseat the ribbon cable connected to the screen and main board.

Does anyone know how to reset the radio itself? Maybe a combination of buttons pressed and other actions simultaneously? I'd rather try a hard reset/restart before opening it.

Re-SEAT the cable...not Re-SET. The cable inside the radio may have come loose. No button pressing will fix a loose connection. If this happened because of a firmware upgrade gone bad, then you can try to restore it to the previous firmware.

teufler

Premium Subscriber
you might check, did you install firmware that is not for your radio. GPS for a gps radio and non GPS for the none gps model.., I did this and I had put the wrong firmware for the model I had.

cinsu

Premium Subscriber
I had this same issue. Courtesy of this post, youtube and some other research I opened up the radio, re-seated the screen ribbon and this resolved the issue for me.

chaseboyer

Premium Subscriber
How do you get the silver piece off of the radio to get to the internals? I removed the two screws under the battery but no luck removing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still no luck getting the back piece off to get to the ribbon cable. Any clue why it isn’t free? I removed the two screws in plain sight under the battery. Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MD-2017 keypad stopped working !

My Md-2017 just quick responding to key press and some buttons do not work also.
Been using it for 6 months with no problems.
Tried programming in a blank codeplug and then the latest one, still no action.
The trackball still works! The PTT works but unable to switch modes and the menu is nogo.

Buy2wayradios where I purchased will replace since still under warranty, but I wanted to
check here on RadioReference to find out if anyone had the same problem.

Holding the menu + * does nothing to unlock the keypad.

Thanks for reading.

jim vm