• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MD-2017 White screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
I have been having an issue with my MD 2017 where when I turn it on all I get is a white screen. The white screen never goes away. My display is ALWAYS a white screen only. I also still cannot connect to my computer. Haven’t been able to connect after the first time I was successful the first day I had it. (Christmas Day) any clue what could be up/possible fixes?
2ce87472310a3ec08d52b62008021b9e.jpg

JustLou

This is a common issue with this radio, the MD380, the GD77 and similar radios from China. The fix is to open the radio and reseat the ribbon cable connected to the screen and main board.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know how to reset the radio itself? Maybe a combination of buttons pressed and other actions simultaneously? I'd rather try a hard reset/restart before opening it.

I_am_Alpha1

Does anyone know how to reset the radio itself? Maybe a combination of buttons pressed and other actions simultaneously? I'd rather try a hard reset/restart before opening it.

Re-SEAT the cable...not Re-SET. The cable inside the radio may have come loose. No button pressing will fix a loose connection. If this happened because of a firmware upgrade gone bad, then you can try to restore it to the previous firmware.

teufler

you might check, did you install firmware that is not for your radio. GPS for a gps radio and non GPS for the none gps model.., I did this and I had put the wrong firmware for the model I had.

cinsu

I had this same issue. Courtesy of this post, youtube and some other research I opened up the radio, re-seated the screen ribbon and this resolved the issue for me.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
How do you get the silver piece off of the radio to get to the internals? I removed the two screws under the battery but no luck removing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
How do you get the silver piece off of the radio to get to the internals? I removed the two screws under the battery but no luck removing

Still no luck getting the back piece off to get to the ribbon cable. Any clue why it isn’t free? I removed the two screws in plain sight under the battery. Am I missing something?

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Finally got it apart. Does anything look out of place besides the ribbon cable? I reset the ribbon cable but still nothing.
fb13b8d776081b1205d47da840b806e2.jpg
3ee1a8f7bddb1f9ccb6984470a7a5278.jpg
3a7ec1cf5f3d497b932012286699b410.jpg

jimvm

MD-2017 keypad stopped working !

My Md-2017 just quick responding to key press and some buttons do not work also.
Been using it for 6 months with no problems.
Tried programming in a blank codeplug and then the latest one, still no action.
The trackball still works! The PTT works but unable to switch modes and the menu is nogo.

Buy2wayradios where I purchased will replace since still under warranty, but I wanted to
check here on RadioReference to find out if anyone had the same problem.

Holding the menu + * does nothing to unlock the keypad.

Thanks for reading.

jim vm

Status
Not open for further replies.