MD 380 Amateur DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasMcKean

Hullo?

I have heard on my 536 scanner something that looks like DMR trunking or talkgroups. They cover my state of Ohio, or North America or whatever. I am trying to figure this all this out what with MotoTRBO tiers.

Does the MD 380 & 390 do this, I wonder?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

wrath

From what I have read those radios do tier one only.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

teufler

jujst bought the md-390, tier two compatable with most moto turbo when they us standard encryption. Alot of learning with this radio I guess.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
From what I have read those radios do tier one only.

Wrong. The MD-380 and MD-390 are fully Tier I and Tier II compatible.

The Baofeng DM-5R is the radio with Tier II compatibility issues.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Those radios will work but you would need an amateur license to transmit and listen to the amateur network. They require a programming code which requires a license.

No. You can listen to any HAM DMR without a radio ID or any license. You only need the radio ID and HAM license if you want to talk on the DMR network.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
No. You can listen to any HAM DMR without a radio ID or any license. You only need the radio ID and HAM license if you want to talk on the DMR network.
Well, up to a point that is true.

Unfortunately, many repeater owners have set most of the "wide area" talk groups to be PTT only, which means that if you cannot key up the repeater, it won't be connected to those talk groups.

Even after activating though they will "time out" if no traffic is heard for 10 minutes.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Getting back to the OP's question, yes, either the MD-380 or MD-390 will talk to the HAM DMR repeater networks. The MD-390 is a bit more expensive, but it has an IP67-rated waterproof case, and built-in GPS.

The GPS feature is not used on DMR-MARC, but it could be used when running simplex. if enabled, radio A's GPS coordinates can be queried by radio B remotely, without any action by the user of radio A. This can be handy if you go hiking in remote areas, and there is a risk you or a companion could become lost or injured. If an emergency were to occur, the lost person's radio GPS coordinates can be read by any other radio on the same channel, even if the lost person is unconscious (as long as the radio is still functional). The radios don't have built-in mapping, so using the coordinates is not as convenient as it would be otherwise, but they can be entered into another device with mapping functions, or relayed to rescuers to drastically reduce search time.

ThomasMcKean

K I guess this answers my question. As far as license goes, I have an extra class. I have never gone into the extra bands. right now I have no plans to. But maybe someday...?

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Nope just for transmitting. As far as monitoring goes anyone can do it. Which is a nice feature compared to a type ii or p25 system as far as a monitoring standpoint. Unfortunately as it's been mentioned some talk groups are ptt activated. I understand the purpose behind it but I'm a lurker of the radio world. I have a license but I prefer to listen a lot of times and I would love to be able to hear certain talk groups without having to key up and ID.

ThomasMcKean

I am also a lurker. All those hoops I jumped through to get the extra, only to find I prefer liatening. Though I have been known to key the mic once in a while. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.