• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MD-380 VHF, locked out of programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
I picked up a VHF MD-380 and must have somehow written a default codeplug or something. I am locked out now. It asks for a password when attempting to read or write but I don't know what the password is. 00000000 doesn't work, nor does nothing in the box or any other combo that I've tried. Also, when I try to manually program it once I enter the user password of 00000000 it says unlock but then immediately goes to lock again. I can't get in at all.

Any ideas?

I would try to READ from radio in the software and see what the passwords are. If that doesn't work, just load a new one with whatever passwords you want.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
I would try to READ from radio in the software and see what the passwords are. If that doesn't work, just load a new one with whatever passwords you want.

He states he can't even read it.

Maybe reload the FW and see what happens?

mancow

Database Admin
I've tried firmware and everything. I even looked in the ini file which says it should be 777777 but that doesn't work. Nothing works.

See below from another group....
Posted by: n2nuo
Go to the directory where the software is installed. Usually Program Files -> Tytera -> md-380.

In that directory is a file named "settings. ini"

Look for "Password= 1" change it to "Password= 0" save the file, program your radio.

mancow

Database Admin
See below from another group....
Posted by: n2nuo
Go to the directory where the software is installed. Usually Program Files -> Tytera -> md-380.

In that directory is a file named "settings. ini"

Look for "Password= 1" change it to "Password= 0" save the file, program your radio.

I have tried that as well but it still asks for the password.

mancow

Database Admin
What happens when you try to clone a password protected radio using a clone cable? Does anyone know? Does it bypass the password?

tango1179

MD-390 - but EXACT SAME PROBLEM

I picked up a VHF MD-380 and must have somehow written a default codeplug or something. I am locked out now. It asks for a password when attempting to read or write but I don't know what the password is. 00000000 doesn't work, nor does nothing in the box or any other combo that I've tried. Also, when I try to manually program it once I enter the user password of 00000000 it says unlock but then immediately goes to lock again. I can't get in at all.

Any ideas?

I am having the EXACT same problem with my new MD-390. I have tried all of the suggestions in this thread, and nothing is working. If anybody has any other suggestions, please send them.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Once you set the "PC Programming Password" in the General Setting dialog and write to the radio, you have to input that password every time you attempt to read from or write to the radio. If you change it from the default (which is set to nothing/null at the factory) and forget the password, you've essentially bricked the radio, at least from the perspective of editing or updating the codeplug.

It's a deliberate design feature to safeguard the privacy keys. Otherwise you could "borrow" a radio programmed to communicate on a secure network, read the codeplug, and clone any number of additional radios that could listen to all the encrypted talkgroups.

There is a separate "Power On Password" that can be required on startup, which does not have to be the same as the PC Programming Password. It can be changed by reprogramming the radio, but that requires you to know the PC Programming Password.

If you lose the programming password, you can't read or alter the radio programming. If you lose the power-on password, the radio is a brick.

Turning the radio on while holding down PTT and either the top or bottom side button (I forget which) puts the radio in a special boot mode where you may be able to overwrite the old code plug with a new one and wipe all the old passwords and privacy keys.

tango1179

EUREKA - I have the answer

I have been in contact with TYT overnight, and their software engineers have made a program for the radio that will bypass the need for the password. I have tried it and it works fine.

Kudos to the software engineer at TYT for getting this done in such short order.

Unfortunately, I can't attach the file to this post because it's too big.

Private message me if you need the file, and I will send it to you.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What happens when you try to clone a password protected radio using a clone cable? Does anyone know? Does it bypass the password?

Not aware that any TYT MD-series radios support cloning.

mancow

Database Admin
The only way I found to fix it was to use the Travis Goodspeed linux tools. I read a friend's radio to caputre the image file then wrote that to mine and it was back to normal.

I_am_Alpha1

I have been in contact with TYT overnight, and their software engineers have made a program for the radio that will bypass the need for the password. I have tried it and it works fine.

Kudos to the software engineer at TYT for getting this done in such short order.

Unfortunately, I can't attach the file to this post because it's too big.

Private message me if you need the file, and I will send it to you.

How big? Could you put it online via DropBox or Google Drive?

Tombofix1948

How the hell

Do you message someone on this site?! I can't even find my inbox. Desperately need the tool tango1179 is talking about as a CPs Flash failed corrupting the Programming Password.

Tombofix1948

Hi All,
I have spoken to TYT and they have given me the software to bypass the password and get the radio working again! The instructions are as follows:

1: Download the software (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rdt7j67ou9y4x72/AABKjxs-zxrwZ7jjwUUY6h14a?dl=0)
2: UnRar the file
3: Run DMR.exe
4: It looks like the normal CPS but it doesn't like pre-existing codeplugs. Connect your radio and download the data (you will not be prompted for a password).
5: Alter the code plug you have downloaded and fix the programming password
6: Re-Image the radio using the updated code plug (you will not be prompted for a password).
7: Close DMR.exe
8: Re-Image the radio using the correct Code plug from CPS v1.36 or your normal version.

kc1efx

Premium Subscriber
MD-380G

Hi All,
I have spoken to TYT and they have given me the software to bypass the password and get the radio working again! The instructions are as follows:

1: Download the software (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rdt7j67ou9y4x72/AABKjxs-zxrwZ7jjwUUY6h14a?dl=0)
2: UnRar the file
3: Run DMR.exe
4: It looks like the normal CPS but it doesn't like pre-existing codeplugs. Connect your radio and download the data (you will not be prompted for a password).
5: Alter the code plug you have downloaded and fix the programming password
6: Re-Image the radio using the updated code plug (you will not be prompted for a password).
7: Close DMR.exe
8: Re-Image the radio using the correct Code plug from CPS v1.36 or your normal version.

Tried this but its not compatible with the gps version (MD380G)

Anyone have a different solution? I've checked out the GIT solution with MD-380 tools but can't for the life of me figure out where to even start. Anyone have a link to a step-by-step for installing and running MD380 tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.