• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MD380 cable problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
Just received a MD380 VHF. Loaded the software off the disk and was able to create a file. Now need to be able to load the file to the radio, but the message window tells me that the usb cable is "busy"

What do I need to do to get the computer to "see" the cable?

Ron

PS: would like to get this running so that I can monitor some Motrbo in the area.

W0JJK

Can you read the radio to save a blank file?

Are you using Tytera software?

Once I got the driver loaded, then it works just by plugging in the radio and computer.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Are you using a tyt cable? You have to have an actual tyt cable for that radio. The kenwood and Chinese ones that look the same actually aren't.

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
Yes I am using the tyt cable. It's like the computer never loaded the driver.
And am using the disk that came with the radio.
Ron

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
TYT cables have no electronics.

The USB/serial converter is in the radio, so the computer will not detect anything or try to load any drivers until you plug in the cable, connect it to the radio, and turn the radio on.

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
I had the radio connected and turned on. It's like the driver in the software never loaded. Also do I need to load both the analog and digital drivers if I only want Moto?

W0JJK

Did you try the USB Driver DMR?

It is the right row of downloads, 7th one down.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Also do I need to load both the analog and digital drivers if I only want Moto?

There is only one radio driver. It is used whether you are programming digital or analog frequencies.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Did you try the USB Driver DMR?

It is the right row of downloads, 7th one down.

I'm about 99% sure that's the same one I used on my XP and 7 computer and I didn't have any problems. OP you may need to uninstall any previous drivers or go into Device Manager and update to the one from the download. Also, as jonwienke said, there's only one drive for analog and digital.

bharvey2

It's been a while since I programmed my MD380 bust as I recall, there is a specific order in how to connect the radio and start the program. If I remember correctly, you need to connect the radio to the computer via the cable, turn on the radio and then start the CPS program. Reverse order for disconnecting. Doing otherwise will cause trouble and the CPS will not see the radio.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Not true, at least with most recent CPS. With the CPS running, you can plug in a radio, turn it on, and program it as soon as you get the ding from windows indicating that the device is connected. I've programmed several radios in a row in this manner without restarting the CPS.

bharvey2

Not true, at least with most recent CPS. With the CPS running, you can plug in a radio, turn it on, and program it as soon as you get the ding from windows indicating that the device is connected. I've programmed several radios in a row in this manner without restarting the CPS.

I can't argue with you as I don't think I have the latest version. It has definitely been a problem for me in the past. - One that I hadn't experienced with other radios/CPS programs. If the OP has the same version as I do, that could be the problem. Thanks for the information though. I'll have to go out and find the latest version because it is pretty frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.