• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MDC1200 complaints

Status
Not open for further replies.

anehring43

There has been a sudden complaint of the post MDC chirp in my area of my county. Three departments in my immediate area use the system with proper and matching IDs and has been very beneficial in the field and in trainings together for years. The complainer does not use the system so I think that is why they find it annoying (I dont hear it anymore, just part of the transmission)

To make things nice in the sand box, is there a way to mute the chirp from the TXing radio? I understand the DOS muting on the recieving side and all of our radios are set for 175ms. I guess another way of asking this is, can you transmit MDC IDs without the squelch? We operate on an analog VHF-lowband system, the complainer works for a company whos radio system is digital and has IDs with no chirping, so i'm assuming he thinks that it can be done on an analog system. I tried explaining the difference but it fell on deaf ears, because he is always right :)

APPARENTLY, the county radio tech has recieved an email from MOTO explaining the way to make this happen. Has anyone heard of this? Is it possible? Or should he just put his new big boy pants on and deal with it?

kg9nn

It's a definite maybe.

We installed a Cimarron C-Plus decoder at the repeater, then programmed it to mute the receiver during MDC IDs. As a side benefit, it limited access to the repeater to only those with a valid MDC ID. The downside was that MDC IDs weren't passed through the repeater anymore so only dispatch saw them. But no one had to hear them :)

Now, later on, we put the VQS boards in the radios and had the repeater pass the MDC IDs instead of muting them. Now everyone could see on their alias display who was talking and the boards in the radios muted the MDC ID.

But, anyone without one of those boards was stuck listening to all the noise. However, the VQS boards (and probably the Motorola radios) could send MDC without CTCSS, provided the repeater passed all signals. Then again, if only dispatch needed to see the IDs, that wouldn't be a problem, now would it?

com501

If the other department is not using MDC now, but using Motorola radios, enable MDC signalling on their receive personality, disable MDC display ID, and make sure their DOS mute is enabled. Then their radios will mute on the MDC like yours do.

Status
Not open for further replies.