Mead/Longmont weather radio

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
You can write She and tell her what's going on with all the weather channels in Larimer County & Mead/Longmont. She will have it investigated. Make sure you give her the Freq.s, same code and the the ID for each one.

All SAME lOCATION CODE 008069

WXM92 FORT COLLINS/AULT 162.450
WXM50 GREELEY 162.400
WXM51 MEAD/LONGMONT 162.475

Sherri R. Glover ● System Analyst

Inalab Consulting, Inc.

NOAA/ NWS/ DISS/ DST

1325 East West Highway Silver Spring, MD 20910

301-427-9753

sherri.glover@noaa.gov

I worked with her on the Galveston, TX transmitter that had a nasty 60hz hum. Took a few trips for the techs to get it sorted, but she was very responsive.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Mead 162.475 has been problematic in the past year with cross-talk of a broadcast station in the background and occasions with noise and static from the wire line connection to their transmitter.

What I found interesting is NWS Cheyenne links their 162.550 via a 406 MHz frequency in the government UHF band.

BinaryMode

Yeah, every Wednesday now I'm hearing the automated voice say something about how "this transmitter is offline." While not exactly true, it is kinda hit and miss.

What is the national weather service's budget anyway? LOL

BinaryMode

Seems like it's been back up and running, but for some reason every Wednesday's test the automated voice says it's out of commission.

Interesting in that my outside antennas can only hear channel 3, but when I'm out and about my vehicle antenna can hear three weather channels full quieting.

ScannerSK

Interesting in that my outside antennas can only hear channel 3, but when I'm out and about my vehicle antenna can hear three weather channels full quieting.
This is probably due to signal overload. Adding attenuation, if a scanner, may help to receive the other weather channels when using the outside antennas. Sometimes an indoor antenna is better due to this reason.

BinaryMode

No, I doubt it. My weather radio uses an inside antenna and I can only hear one channel. The scanners are connected to outside antennas and I still hear one channel.

ScannerSK

Interesting. I'm in Gilcrest and can almost always receive six weather channels with my outside antenna using a Uniden BCD996P2. The antenna is just a 3' copper pipe about 10' above the rooftop.

162.4 - Strong
162.425 - Nothing
162.45 - Strong (a second weaker channel here as well)
162.475 - Strong
162.5 - Weak however audible
162.525 - Weak, barely audible this morning
162.55 - Moderate (a second channel here as well)