Meaning of "TAC" channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
NYFD basically has 1 dispatch channel per borough; plus 1 primary simplex portable radio channel used by every unit in the entire agency. Plus they have extra HT channels. Ambulances operate on a entirely different system. IIRC NYFD EMS has multi dispatch channels; multi HT/mobile only channels; and 2 major incident commander channels.
Who the heck is NYFD? :unsure: Oh, you mean the FDNY? :cautious:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
We follow the NIFOG. And to keep from confusion, you should too!
7TAC51= Repeated Tactical
7TAC51D= Direct Tactical
8TAC91= Repeated Tactical
8TAC91D= Direct Tactical
8CALL90= Repeated Calling
8CALL90D= Direct Calling
An admonition from an outsider. Hmmmm.

Anyway, if we were to use the NIFOG frequencies, I'm sure we'd stick with their terms but we don't and we don't. But it works. Go figure.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
There is always the one that has a stroke if its not exactly how he/she wants it and thinks everyone else MUST be the same as they are. I for one can laugh at anyone that thinks everything is universally one way, which is their way. Just so ya get a pic RRR, and others... Official Labeling in Official codeplugs done by the State Officials is very different from your supposedly ONLY way to use things. MWCC MS Wireless Communications Commission who do the MSWIN use TAC for Tactical/On Scene Operations, And talk around is CAR or TALK as in Car to Car.... EX: 81-LE TAC1, which would mean per the Codeplug - County number 81, Countywide Law Enforcement Tactical 1. Pretty much the same way IPSC Indiana Public Safety Communications who run the SAFE-T do it. Very close to how TNDPS Tennessee Department of Public Safety who do the TACN do it. Hmm Funny, also extremely close to how AWIN is done in Arkansas.... You get the picture here? Its not JUST the way we do it for radioreference.

Last edited by a moderator:

K7MFC

WRAA720
"Tac", is used to memorialize the Late Eugene Tackleberry. Officer and former SWAT Team member "Tac" Tackleberry was killed in an explosion while reloading his own 155mm Howitzer rounds.

tumblr_n5rlmfvweZ1qikcuzo1_400.gif

D

DaveNF2G

I remember some police agencies where I grew up referring to repeaters as "three-way".

hitechRadio

An admonition from an outsider. Hmmmm.

Anyway, if we were to use the NIFOG frequencies, I'm sure we'd stick with their terms but we don't and we don't. But it works. Go figure.

This is a ridiculous comment, if you are actually in or work with PS.
Sounds like you are the OUTSIDER!!

INDY72

3 way: Input which is also direct Base to Mobiles, And Mobiles to Base/other Mobiles... Also repeated on the output...

INDY72

LOL, until its reported and deemed dead and closed by an Mod... It will grow cancerous and deadly well beyond painful.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
This is a ridiculous comment, if you are actually in or work with PS.
Sounds like you are the OUTSIDER!!
Outsider? I spent over 3 decades in law enforcement. I'm certified to train National Incident Command and have been a part of Homeland Security since 2004. I'm a certified law enforcement instructor, a certified fire instructor and a certified arson investigator. Even though retired, I still manage a 40' mobile command vehicle with almost more radios than I can count There are radios specifically programmed with NIFOG frequencies but no body uses them. I drove that bus to Pearl River County, MS, after Katrina. We spent over a week there and managed 6 other agencies and no one had NIFOG frequencies. That bus has been to a lot of train wrecks, tornadoes, hazmat situations, etc., and no one except us has ever had NIFOG frequencies. Even so, everything worked fine. The only time I've ever seen NIFOG frequencies used is during training exercises.

The key word here is "interoperability." Within our jurisdiction, we don't use NIFOG frequencies because we don't need them and we can label the talk groups on our own radio system anything we like.

I may be a lot of things but "outsider" isn't one of them.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Outsider? I spent over 3 decades in law enforcement. I'm certified to train National Incident Command and have been a part of Homeland Security since 2004. I'm a certified law enforcement instructor, a certified fire instructor and a certified arson investigator. Even though retired, I still manage a 40' mobile command vehicle with almost more radios than I can count There are radios specifically programmed with NIFOG frequencies but no body uses them. I drove that bus to Pearl River County, MS, after Katrina. We spent over a week there and managed 6 other agencies and no one had NIFOG frequencies. That bus has been to a lot of train wrecks, tornadoes, hazmat situations, etc., and no one except us has ever had NIFOG frequencies. Even so, everything worked fine. The only time I've ever seen NIFOG frequencies used is during training exercises.

The key word here is "interoperability." Within our jurisdiction, we don't use NIFOG frequencies because we don't need them and we can label the talk groups on our own radio system anything we like.

I may be a lot of things but "outsider" isn't one of them.
FWIW, before Katrina not many people took large scale incident interoperability seriously. I think it would be a bit different, now.

All MPSCS subscriber radios have 7Tac & 8Tac, and I made certain that my department has all the NIFOG VHF-Hi options programmed. I hope everyone takes a similar stance, and has things loaded, even if the chance of using them is near nil.

Sent using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.