MECA System Name Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9NEG

Scannerfreak, a couple of quick notes:

1.) The "D" in "DPSC" refers to "Division", not "Department", and all occurrences should probably be changed.

2.) The link on the Marion Co. (IN) DB page still reads "MECA" and should be updated to "DPSC".

3.) I notice "District" has replaced "Sector" on all IMPD TG descriptions--thanks! Our feed listeners can be picky, can't they? ;)

scannerfreak

Database Admin
1. The system itself belongs to and is being used by the Dept. Of Public Safety. So DPSC in this instance = Dept. Of Public Safety Communications System.

2. Fixed, Thanks.

3. Yep, if it's district we might as well have it right :)

KC9NEG

After reviewing the DPS (Department of Public Safety) website, I disagree about #1 ;) The "D" in "DPSC" can only mean "Division"; there is no "Department of Public Safety Communications".

Finer semantic points aside, it's much more accurate now, so thanks again.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
I see what you're saying, but it's a communications system used by the Dept. Of Public Safety, maintained by the Division Of Public Safety Communications.

So, I'll meet you in the middle and name the system simply "Indianapolis Department Of Public Safety" :)

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Although I guess it really should be "Public Safety and Services", but I think everyone knows that.

KC9NEG

Might want to review and revise link (original #2) again, in light of renaming the system.

I'll go away now ;) The Colts are getting mauled and I didn't have anything better to do). Besides, now all this will make it into our HomePatrol-1's this week :)

Viper43

I see what you're saying, but it's a communications system used by the Dept. Of Public Safety, maintained by the Division Of Public Safety Communications.

So, I'll meet you in the middle and name the system simply "Indianapolis Department Of Public Safety" :)

Actually shouldn't it be Marion County not Indianapolis because it is a county wide system serving the entire county not just the city of Indianapolis.Add to it all taxpayers in the county pay for the system, not just those within city limits. So: Marion County Division of Public Safety.
Curious too, MECA stills calls it MECA, the cops and everyone do and it's still the MECA Van....etc....

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
This was changed a long time ago nice to see RR DB six month to a year later catching up
When Frank Straub took over there where a lot of changes made

In 2010, the City County Council transferred most of the responsibilities of the Metropolitan Emergency Communications Agency to a new Division of Public Safety Communications within the Department of Public Safety.

The Division of Public Safety Communications (DPSC) provides the infrastructure for the public safety and public service agencies in Marion County. DPSC supports the Radio System, the Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system, the 9-1-1 Telephone System, Police Records, Fire Records, and a Safety Data Network. DPSC has a Customer Service Desk that is manned by a Customer Service System Technician 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

DPSC supports 100 public safety and public service agencies. These 100 agencies consist of approximately 9,700 customers, 11,500 radios, 7,530 pagers and cellular devices, 2,152 Mobile Data terminals, 169 computers, and Fire House Alerting Equipment for 71 houses. DPSC maintains 11 radio tower sites and supports seven public safety answering points (PSAP), as well as a backup PSAP.

Link to info
Home

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Add to it all taxpayers in the county pay for the system, not just those within city limits.
I agree that it should be named a Marion County system rather than Indianapolis.

However, the government of Indianapolis and Marion County is consolidated according to the provisions of Indiana Code Title 36 Article 3, aka Unigov, which was enacted in 1970. The only "excluded" entities within Marion County are the Town of Speedway, and the Cities of Lawrence, Beech Grove, and Southport. The other communities, whether incorporated or not, are "included" towns under Indiana Code 36-3-2-5.

So, aside from Speedway, Lawrence, Beech Grove, and Southport, the rest of Marion County is legally Indianapolis.

djl998

Referring to districts as sectors isn't strictly incorrect. Thy are often referred to as such on the radio. North, East, Southeast, Southwest, Downtown, and Northwest Districts are also known as Adam, Baker, Charles, David, Edward, and Frank sectors, respectively. Hence the letters in front of the unit numbers. Although North Sector, East Sector, etc. is never used.

Last edited:

scannerfreak

Database Admin
That simply isn't the name of the entity. Whatever the correct name is, something you just made up isn't it. All of Marion County except the excluded cities is Indianapolis.

I agree. The primary agency and jurisdiction operating the trunked system is the Indianapolis Department Of Public Safety and therefore should be the name of the system per policy.

Referring to districts as sectors isn't strictly incorrect. Thy are often referred to as such on the radio. North, East, Southeast, Southwest, Downtown, and Northwest Districts are also known as Adam, Baker, Charles, David, Edward, and Frank sectors, respectively. Hence the letters in front of the unit numbers. Although North Sector, East Sector, etc. is never used.

Also agree here too, but from what I gathered here they were called districts on the air. That's why I made the change there. Maybe I misunderstood the info. If you all think they need to be changed back I'm certainly open for opinions :)

Last edited:

Viper43

That simply isn't the name of the entity. Whatever the correct name is, something you just made up isn't it. All of Marion County except the excluded cities is Indianapolis.

Neither is Indianapolis........

Status
Not open for further replies.