Med Evac Helicopters in Sacramento

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkewman

I've been monitoring Med-evac Helicopters for some time on the Public Safety side, and on Helo to Helo frequencies, but I'm trying to get a better understanding of how things work here in Sacramento on the Aviation frequencies, and since I took a little hiatus from the hobby to dedicate more energy to work, I'm a bit rusty.

So I have a few questions:

Lets say a Helicopter is headed to UC Davis Medical Center, are they in SAC (Executive Airport) airspace and do they have to advise the tower they're landing/approaching, etc or do they just advise other aircraft on 123.05?

Is that the same frequency in use for Sutter Roseville, Mercy San Juan (or is Mercy San Juan is in MCC airspace?) Kaiser South, etc?

I've heard "Blackhawk and Guard" callsigns used by CalFire dispatch this season for an EVAC, I assume these are Coast Guard? How Often does the coast guard do normal medical evacs and what frequencies are in use for them?

Basically, what is the procedure if one wanted to monitor a medical flight to a hospital? what frequencies would one want to monitor?

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Lets say a Helicopter is headed to UC Davis Medical Center, are they in SAC (Executive Airport) airspace and do they have to advise the tower they're landing/approaching, etc or do they just advise other aircraft on 123.05?

Choppers landing at UCDMC are in SAC airspace and work off the tower frequency when approaching and must be cleared into the airspace before they can land at the hospital. They will normally advise on approach to the airspace and after being cleared in (and given a transponder code), they will report when turning for the pad, and again when on the pad, and again before lifting off the pad.

Is that the same frequency in use for Sutter Roseville, Mercy San Juan (or is Mercy San Juan is in MCC airspace?) Kaiser South, etc?

All the above are VFR and they normally don't talk to anyone other than company dispatch.

I've heard "Blackhawk and Guard" callsigns used by CalFire dispatch this season for an EVAC, I assume these are Coast Guard? How Often does the coast guard do normal medical evacs and what frequencies are in use for them?

I have not heard this myself but if I had to guess I would say maybe National Guard/MAFFS aircraft? Also medical flights normally ID as "lifeguard" on air frequencys so maybe is has something to do with that?

Last edited:

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Sac Metro Helo 2

Was in the Auburn and Sac area on the afternoon of July 14 when the Robbers fire was really stoking up. We stopped in at Auburn airport just as the CHP bird was returning from the fire for refueling. They were almost called to do a medivac up at the fire but a Cal Guard Blackhawk picked up the patient. We saw the Blackhawk leaving the hospital as we were driving down I-80 later. I managed to catch a photo of another Cal Guard Blackhawk headed back to the fire after refueling. We drove up to Colfax but couldn't find a spot where we could observe any aerial drops. Speaking of Sac Metro Fire Helo 2, well I just happened to get a picture while in town! I found the160MHz Placer County P25 system very interesting and noticed the new talkgroups being simulcasted.
Mark

Attachments

• CalGuardBlackhawk.jpg
    CalGuardBlackhawk.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 828
  • N113FD-SacMetroFD-2.jpg
    N113FD-SacMetroFD-2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,291
  • CHP-Auburn-N217HP.jpg
    CHP-Auburn-N217HP.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,043
Status