MEDCOM On MED 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
I have been reading this thread from when it started. And have not been listening on the scanner OR radio at work but am I reading this right?
AMR is using a Tactical med channel for dispatch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I have been reading this thread from when it started. And have not been listening on the scanner OR radio at work but am I reading this right?
AMR is using a Tactical med channel for dispatch?

Yes! I just heard them on 453.025 with the same DPL of 115. Full repeater operations at this time.
So I wonder now I wonder what they are gonna do with med 5 and the med 12- 453.075 repeated frequencies.

Manny

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
Can a commercial company use the med frequencies for their own dispatch?
I thought the med channels were for the usual Dept/ambulance/hospital coordination.

leadjammer

MEDCOM on MED 5

AMR was back on Med 5 most of this morning and afternoon. A while later I head them on both Med 5 and Med-Tac. Not sure what they are doing.

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
So they are using a med channel frequency but their CTCSS is not one that is the same as the statewide med channels?
So not every ambulance that is registered with state can listen/talk on AMR's frequency. Correct?

leadjammer

Seems like you are correct because AMR has exclusive use of MED 5. No patches go through that channel anymore and it seems that only Med 6 is being used for most patches. Don't know the story with Med 11. I don't hear AMR on Med 5 tonight. They keep flipping between both channels.

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
So basically AMR/MEDCOM has manipulated the statewide protocols? The state required all ambulances to have a 256 channel radio programmed into specific banks in all ambulances. Now MEDCOM/AMR is doing what they want with the channels and using it as they please. I know they changed the CTCSS tone.
Please forgive me if I am missing something.

leadjammer

Seems like you are right on with all you are saying. I don't know enough about the difference between CMED and MEDCOM and if any special rules were broken for MEDCOM to take over. Seems like they have free reign to do whatever they want. Need someone else with more knowledge to chime in on this.

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
Yea. I am curious myself. Hopefully somebody with more knowledge chimes in.

zuzuski

If this is the case, then any ambulance service can have a case for a 'free' set of frequencies? Just grab any med pair, twist around a PL, and call it your "coordination" channel - but really it's your for profit, dispatch channel.

Unfortunately, it appears to not be 'high' on the OEMS list of things to do .... There used to be a coordinator at OEMS who took care of these things and really had a 'plan'.

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
If this is the case, then any ambulance service can have a case for a 'free' set of frequencies? Just grab any med pair, twist around a PL, and call it your "coordination" channel - but really it's your for profit, dispatch channel.

This is exactly where I was leading to!

And this would be one of many stupid reasons why this state is in such horrific state of affairs for money.
State requires every ambulance to update their CMED radios and come out with SOPs for such. Many small towns and ambulance services didn't have the money for said radios but somehow managed to fund them and follow the SOP.
Now that SOP is falling by the wayside in some regions and those specific radios and SOPs are no longer needed.
Wasted money!

scollier

I know when they were doing the SNF Evac on Wednesday, they said switch back to "New Haven EMS 1" So I guess Medtac 1 would be NHEMS 1?

shawn

cg

Premium Subscriber
The city of New Haven holds the license for the Tac Channels, if they choose to allow AMR to use the frequencies that way, it would be allowed.

Different regions have different protocols, there is no single statewide communications protocol. There is the DEMHS document for minimum requirements for radios that OEMS adopted. But the only reference to the four TAC Channels is as interoperability channels. The PL used there is 156.7 but NCCMED has the Regional Tac Channels on the NCCMED PL of 118.8. Separately, North Central's Communications Protocol allows Local Dispatch on Tac 1 & Tac 2. The FCC does not regulate the specific use of the 453.xxxxx channels, only the 462.9xxxx and 463.xxxxx channels.

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
cg:
Thank you for the updated info. I did not know how the Tac channels were assigned or operated.

Status
Not open for further replies.