MEDCOM On MED 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

leadjammer

Heard MEDCOM AMR dispatching on MED 5 this evening instead of their usual channel. Couldn't pick up any cars..Dispatch only. Anyone know why the switch?

leadjammer

MEDCOM on MED 5

Could very well be because I don't hear them today. Heard them last night for a couple of hours. Could a patch have been left open all that time. Possible I guess.

leadjammer

MEDCOM on MED 5

Picked up MEDCOM AMR all day today on Med 5. Not an open patch that's for sure, Don't hear any cars, only dispatch. Don't know the reason. Their regular channel was also active.

ecps92

Sounds like someone is simulcasting and hitting/leaving the console patched
Picked up MEDCOM AMR all day today on Med 5. Not an open patch that's for sure, Don't hear any cars, only dispatch. Don't know the reason. Their regular channel was also active.

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
Kitn1mcc:
It's been a mess since SC was abolished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leadjammer

MEDCOM on MED 5

Seems like they are simulcasting on med 5 and their regular channel 155.205 but strangely I cannot pick up any vehicle transmissions like I usually do on either channel. They are a mess.

leadjammer

MEDCOM on MED 5

Seems like AMR has added a repeater on MED 5. Maybe they are here to stay on this channel. Apparently MED 5 is no longer used for patches.

MarkB513

Not to mention they're using a DPL of 115, not the 167.9 PL. Guess they don't want just anyone with MED-5 still programmed jumping on there. I wonder where it's being transmitted from, I believe MED-5 was out of Wallingford prior? Also, is the low band 47.500 gone for good now or still active?

leadjammer

MEDCOM on MED 5

I always thought Med 6, 7, 8 and 10 come off the tower near the West Rock Tunnel. Unsure about Med 5 but it is a much stronger signal than 155.205. Haven't heard anything on low band in a long time.

MarkB513

Sorry to see the low band go, but I knew it would be replaced eventually like everything else. I wouldn't doubt the high band goes away too at some point. I took it out seeing as the Med-5 repeater comes in quite well in Cheshire which is why I questioned it being out of Wallingford.

leadjammer

MEDCOM On Med 5

I get it loud and clear in Hamden also and I'm not very far from the west rock antennas but like I said I'm not sure where med 5 comes off of. You might be right about Wallingford but i don't think my reception would be this good if it was. I can't get Wallingford Police and Wallingford Fire comes in very faint here in Hamden even with an outside antenna. Wherever it is it has much more power than the VHF system which I believe is a simplex system with no repeater. I too miss the old low band stuff. Most of it is gone although there are still a few using it like Valley Shore Radio, Trumball and Old Lyme. I think East Haven fire still simulcasts on low band. West Haven used to but not sure now with all the changes to the radio systems there.

MarkB513

I would think it would go away eventually as the equipment is harder to support.

One other thing about Med-5 where I am in Cheshire, it sounds great until North Central C-MED has a patch going. It turns into a whole lot of uninterrupted noise at that point which is quite annoying !!!

cg

Premium Subscriber
Be interesting if another commercial provider wants to use a Med channel for their dispatching.

chris

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Who is to complain as nobody uses Med 1-8 anymore for Telemetry in any major met area. Everybody uses cell phones now, and I do remember that there was some talk of dispatch on them about 10 years ago. NYC uses talk groups on their trunk system, in West Co I installed a Med radio in an ambulance 15 years ago, and I don't believe it was ever used. I have to go through 90.35 and 90.20 but I don't ever remember seeing any prohibition for dispatch only recommendations.

OK, just checked 90.20 there is no specific prohibition about using Med 1-8 for dispatch. Only exceptions to the standard rules are for allowing for telemetry uses, continuious carrier ( needed for EKG telemetry) and radio must have all 8 Med channels.

BTW if I have a business or agency that qualifies for the Med channels I would definitly pick one of the other 8 as Med 9 and 10 are a mess. You have single channel LTR systems dispatching handicap busses from atop the Chrysler building and virtually no monitoring of the channel prior to transmission.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.