• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Medical Dispatch heard on FRS ch 14 in S.E. MI. tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strangest thing. I was receiving medical dispatch transmissions on FRS Channel 14 tonight, here in south east Michigan. Tones and all. At first I though I had misnamed a channel on my programmable radio but then I verified it with my bubble pack FRS/GMRS radio.

FRS ch14 (467.7125) is NOT a channel that is shared with GMRS so it can't be a grandfathered business license for a private ambulance co.

Local "kid" playing with a home built repeater circuit, retransmitting scanner traffic on FRS? It would be easy enough to do with a couple of audio jacks, some wire and turning on the VOX function on a bubble pack radio.

Private ambulance company that picked up some Chinese radios and is running illegally? Who would run dispatch on a frequency that is limited to 1/2 watt?

Private ambulance company that has a defective radio that is also transmitting on a harmonic of it's assigned frequency? Although the audio seemed awfully clear for that.

Here is a shore video clip https://youtu.be/cO5N8pv8_cQ

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Strangest thing. I was receiving medical dispatch transmissions on FRS Channel 14 tonight, here in south east Michigan. Tones and all. At first I though I had misnamed a channel on my programmable radio but then I verified it with my bubble pack FRS/GMRS radio.

FRS ch14 (467.7125) is NOT a channel that is shared with GMRS so it can't be a grandfathered business license for a private ambulance co.

Local "kid" playing with a home built repeater circuit, retransmitting scanner traffic on FRS? It would be easy enough to do with a couple of audio jacks, some wire and turning on the VOX function on a bubble pack radio.

Private ambulance company that picked up some Chinese radios and is running illegally? Who would run dispatch on a frequency that is limited to 1/2 watt?

Private ambulance company that has a defective radio that is also transmitting on a harmonic of it's assigned frequency? Although the audio seemed awfully clear for that.

Here is a shore video clip https://youtu.be/cO5N8pv8_cQ
The audio was pretty clear. It makes me wonder if an EMS crew was using some sort of non-authorized repeater, to be outside their rig?

Sent via Tapatalk

That is an Icom IC-7100 ham radio.

I know, cause I have one! :)

Ed
K4XXX
Yes sir it is.

After I herd the medical traffic on my HT I tuned to that frequency on the Icom to see if I could decode a CTSS or DCT tone. It did not lock on to one. So, my best guess is someone was playing games retransmitting scanner traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.