Medical Helicopter Risk Levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes listening to Aircare and MedForce I hear the Pilot call out a Risk Level. I have not been able to find any charts for this. Anyone know anything?

Haley

I have listened to them for almost 20 years(I am in RACOMS home territory). I hear risk assessment "Bravo" quite often, I have heard "Alpha" a long time ago. Not sure what the criteria is, but I always assumed (maybe wrongly?) it's just a descending phonetic alphabet, Alpha (high risk), Bravo medium risk, and on. And I could be wrong-----but more often than not they usually say something along the lines of "three souls on board, risk assessment Bravo".

jdifabio

Premium Subscriber
Risk Assessment. The service I fly with uses a several item document that assigns a numerical value to several items such as dew point, how many nights in a row and years with company. They come up with a number then the operations center will question flight if risk is to high. This all pertains to the pilot. Merry Christmas Joe N2UBI

AngelFire91

Database Admin
Jdifabio is correct. It's a pre-flight risk assessment. It is company specific as to how it is formulated and what constitutes too high of a risk. The pilot must perform a risk assessment before he accepts a request for a flight. If the risk is too high, then there is usually a requirement for a supervisor to approve the flight, and if it's too high for that, then the pilot can not take the flight.

The FAA mandates that all EMS Helicopters have some form of risk assessment but it must include: Static factors, Dynamic factors, and Mitigation strategies.

Static factors generally do not change throughout the day and can usually be determined first thing of the day: How long the pilot has been with the company, how many hours of flight time he has, How well does he know the route of flight

Dynamic factors can change from flight to flight: What is the current temperature/dewpoint spread, is icing forecasted, is it snowing, or thunderstorms.

Mitigation examples: Aircraft is equipped with Autopilot, landing area has been scoped out beforehand, landing at an airport, adding more fuel etc...

Dpipe

mws72 is there a way for me to contact you directly so I can ask you some questions regarding scanning in the quad cities? I owned a radio shack scanner as a kid and recently have become interested in listening in again. I don't want to jump in and buy something that won't work but at the same time I also don't want to break the bank. I would love to pick your brain sometime and ask some questions.
Dave

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Either the 325P2 with the pay upgrades for the DMR/Provoice or the TRX-1 DMR/NXDN included,otherwise the 436/536 HP II but you pay extra for DMR/Provoice/NXDN. The reason I got the TRX-1 was at the time it was the only way to get NXDN, Then a couple of months later Uniden added NXDN to the 436/536. Quad-Cities right now is analog except for Illinois State on with P25 trunking. State of Iowa going to P25 700 MHz. Scott and Rock Island Counties goinfg to P25 trunking. Right now other than City of Moline Public Works using NXDN there is little NXDN. Arsenal id a P25 380 MHz trunking but most of it is encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.