Meigs Co. Sheriff. Which Tones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Frequency 155.250. Call Sign WYC656. CTCSS Tone 192.8. My scanner found and displayed 196.6. I don't think there's anything else close enough that it could be.

Frequency 158.970. CTCSS Tone 192.8. My scanner found and displayed 88.7. Same.

Can someone please clarify?

CAPTLPOL1

It could be throwing off and giving off false displays on your scanner. Yes it could seem strange to your scanner if they use non-standard tones.

SCPD

QRT
CAPTLPOL1 said:
It could be throwing off and giving off false displays on your scanner. Yes it could seem strange to your scanner if they use non-standard tones.

So should I not program in any tone?

kf4lhp

mrrandb said:
Frequency 155.250. Call Sign WYC656. CTCSS Tone 192.8. My scanner found and displayed 196.6. I don't think there's anything else close enough that it could be.

For some reason you're getting one of the non-standard tones. They are using 192.8 Hz, that's what my 780 has programmed in it and it works fine.

mrrandb said:
Frequency 158.970. CTCSS Tone 192.8. My scanner found and displayed 88.7. Same.

Cherokee County NC Sheriff's Office - 158.970, tone 88.5.

SCPD

QRT
kf4lhp said:
For some reason you're getting one of the non-standard tones. They are using 192.8 Hz, that's what my 780 has programmed in it and it works fine.

Cherokee County NC Sheriff's Office - 158.970, tone 88.5.

Are you saying I'm picking up Cherokee County?

kf4lhp

mrrandb said:
Are you saying I'm picking up Cherokee County?

Yep.

If you've got a good enough antenna and a good location in the Chattanooga area, Polk County and points east on VHF aren't a problem. I know from atop Signal Mountain, it's easy to get Graham County NC.

Even 800 can be done... I've been to Mount Roosevelt in Roane County (west of Rockwood, TN) and picked up one site on the NC VIPER system (Wine Springs, I believe) with just a mag-mount antenna on the car.

Also, my experience with the RS scanners (I have a PRO-2067 in my fleet) is that they will tend to show a PL tone that's not quite right if they aren't getting a good signal. They will also show a 136.5 PL intermittently if the frequency is actually using a DPL code.

CCHLLM

I'm not using a scanner, but yeah, Polk, Monroe, Bradley, Cherokee, and Graham VHF all range from barely readable to full quieting all the way up US 27 to I-40 from Chattanooga, depending on the terrain on the east side of US 27, and I can hear either the Mt Sterling or the Wine Springs Viper CC (haven't looked to see which it is or confirm that Mt Sterling is on line) here and there from Chatty to several places in through Dayton and Spring City area on US27 (Rhea Co) and into Rockwood. I would think that with a decent antenna, Cherokee County oughta be making it to you just fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.