Memphis Wing Frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorman

Has anyone heard the Wing flights on 463.15 recently? Maybe I'm missing them but I don't seem to hear traffic from them on this freq these days. I hear other services on the .280 freq but not Memphis.

Thanks much!

ka4bni

Feed Provider
They may have gone to a VHF frequency.
They have VOIP remote basestations at Jackson, TN on 160.1325 and in Nesbitt, MS on 152.9000. They may have installed a VHF remote base somewhere in Memphis. Just a thought.

Gatorman

If they are using the legacy MEDCOM channels, are they actually narrow-banded?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
All the licenses say they are, and as it has been a full year, all equipment should be broadcasting in narrowband. And if someone has the freq with tone in closed modes, etc, and it suddenly goes quiet, your next step is put it in tone search, because 8 out of ten times, they switched tones after narrowbanding. The other 2 out of 10, they switched to another frequency, or they went to an trunked system. I wouldn't expect them on TACN yet, as it will be a couple of years before the West TN portion is built and active. I don't think they have ever run on the Shelby County TRS, or DeSoto County TRS, or for that matter, the Jackson TRS either All their licenses would be under the Methodist Medical stuff as far as I know. So if we can't find them on whats listed pretty quickly, I will look through FCC data and see if anything new has popped up..

Gatorman

Still Listening

Still listening for the Wing aircraft on 152.9. Hear CW ID. No traffic yet.

Gatorman

Finally Heard Traffic

I finally heard traffic on 152.9. Wing 6 responding to "dispatch" for position report. Repeater transmitter has low frequency noise, annoying.

Also hearing dispatcher claiming problems with receiving Wing 7.

Gatorman

Now they are calling it "Wingcom." Dispatcher is very muffled. Calls to two helos went unanswered. I have never heard this occur on the old freq of 460.15 or the VHF freqs. Interesting.

Gatorman

Wing 7 finally comes up on 155.280 to establish comms. Maybe it is that awful hum on the signal.

This comment earlier has me wondering:

The Nesbit Repeater is the Memphis Dispatch Channel. It has wide area coverage.To include from Oxford up to Jonesboro area. I have verified this information with someone at Hospital Wing.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
The issues confirm narrowbanding. This is an common complaint with narrowbanded freqs (low/muffled audio). Keep us informed as to changes and tones in use. The hum sounds like they need to have a look at the consoles, and the repeaters.

Gatorman

NB

Milf, thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I'm using open squelch on this particular radio. None of my scanners are able to detect PL. PRO-2045s. However, one of them does have a tone board and I might be able to figure it out if that helps you out.

It is interesting because the rest of the freqs I listen to in the EMS arena all sound the same as always, .280, .205, .340 and the eight med channels in use in this area. Crisp audio and clean signals. I estimate the CW speed on the 152.9 repeater at about 40 wpm. I'm thinking that doesn't conform with FCC regs but it doesn't really matter. Just a point of interest.

Gatorman

It appears that 152.9 is being used for flight following. Patient reports are being given on 155.280. Apparently, 463.15/468.15 is no longer being used for dispatch, patient reports, etc. It would be interesting to know why they stopped using the UHF medcom freq for dispatching unless these freqs were becoming crowded.

Possibly RadioCopFFFR can answer that?????

Thanks all. I hope some find this updated info useful.

matthewtomek

Live Audio Admin
Feed Provider
It appears that 152.9 is being used for flight following. Patient reports are being given on 155.280. Apparently, 463.15/468.15 is no longer being used for dispatch, patient reports, etc. It would be interesting to know why they stopped using the UHF medcom freq for dispatching unless these freqs were becoming crowded.

Possibly RadioCopFFFR can answer that?????

Thanks all. I hope some find this updated info useful.

It may have something to do with the fact that Memphis MedCom (located inside The MED) is no longer dispatching for Hospital Wing. HW hired their own dispatchers. Last I heard, they were renting space at Rural Metros's facility in Collierville and dispatching from there.

Gatorman

Interesting

It may have something to do with the fact that Memphis MedCom (located inside The MED) is no longer dispatching for Hospital Wing. HW hired their own dispatchers. Last I heard, they were renting space at Rural Metros's facility in Collierville and dispatching from there.

That is interesting. You have to wonder why they did that? Too much pressure on MedCom? They aren't the friendliest folks in the world if you listen to their interaction on the usual freqs. Less than professional on occasion. Short, curt, borderline snotty in some instances.

That has got to be costing the Hospital Wing a LOT of additional money in salaries.

Thanks again for the great info.

RadioCopFFFR

The Medcom dispatchers have more than enough on their plates as the Regional Communications Center for EMS. Hospital Wing felt that they could do better by having their own dispatchers to ensure they were able to continue to provide the highest level of service to the area.Medcom still has the tracking equipment to be able to monitor the location of the WIng aircraft that they had when they were providing the flight following and dispatch for them. Also medcom flight follows for other air ems providers when they come into the Memphis area from other areas. I.e. AirEvac, Pafford Air One Delta, etc. Also Wingcom is at the hanger adjacent to Methodist University Hospital. On Union and I-240.

Gatorman

Flight Following

Thanks for the info. I wonder if the recent crash or crashes had anything to do with the Wing taking over dispatching and following? In any event, some good info and we appreciate it.

Gatorman

I was finally able to locate and verify the input or airborne freq for the Memphis Helicopter Wing repeater on 152.9. It is 160.035. I'm sorry but I have no way of verifying the tone. Looking through the various databases, I don't see this combination or the base frequency noted for the Memphis Wing. Perhaps it could be added to the Shelby County database?????

Regards

Ray-D-O

I have been listening to 152.9 lately after seeing this post. I have heard the different "Wings" talking to thier comm center. Yesterday I heard some other interesting comms on that frequency going through the repeater. It sounded like some type of grounds maintenance people talking about thier work. A Wing came on and did thier comms then one of the others said "Who is that talking on our radio?" The FCC shows several listings on that frequency in the area but for this other entity to show up on what sounds like this repeater sounds strange. Whatever it is I hope the Wing folks aren't paying too much for this service as I constantly hear thier units transmissions just drop out totally during calls. Unfortunately communicating with the Wing has always been an adventure for the last few years. This is the latest in the saga.........

Status
Not open for further replies.