Merging NJSP Database Entries Into 1

Should the three NJSP TSYS entries by combined into one?

• Yes - it will make much easier to find talkgroups and web import the entire state system.

Votes: 24 66.7%
  • No, keep them seperated because combining them will only cause problems.

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Septa3371CSX1

I don't know if this has come up before or not but if it has forgive me for bringing it back up in a new topic.

Anyways, I'm offering a suggestion with a poll on whether or not the three NJSP Trunk System DB entries should be combined into one. The main reason I ask is because all three systems are linked together and many talkgroups are broadcast on two or three systems. So rather than having seperate entries for A, B, and C, why not have 1 entry for the whole state and have the frequencies grouped into the three seperate troops along with the intellipeater sites and list all the system IDs (i.e. Troop A, SysID B106). Then have all the talkgroups listed with the patrol talkgroups seperated by troop (A, B, C). This will elminate the need to have the talkgroups that are broadcast on two or three systems entered in three seperate entries and also make it easier for users to look up talkgroups that for example, pop up on A but are only listed on C.

Both John Burcelli (KC2KZZ's files) and Joe Cardini (Philly Scanner) have their files for NJSP listed with the frequencies listed for each system and all the talk groups listed as one rather than 3 seperate lists for each troops. It is much easier to use those files than the Radio Reference DB listings because everything is in one place. While not to steal traffic from them, I feel since RR is the most well known internet site for scanner users, everything should be easy to use and understand. Before I found Nosoup4u's files, I struggled with talkgroups on the NJSP systems using the RR entries.

Another issue that will come up with combining these systems is users who only want to program one troop and also web imports. Combining all the systems into one will make it much easier to use the web import feature on programs like Win500 since all talkgroups can be imported once instead of three times and then going through and affiliating everything with the NJSP TSYS object and also making sure you have all the control channel frequencies. At the same time, users who only want Troop B for example can still just program Troop B and it's talkgroups by selecting those that affiliate with the B system.

Please discuss this suggestion and use the poll to voice your opinion on the subject matter.

Highpockets

I won't vote yet, I want to read some other replies, but, In John's and not sure about Joe's the talk groups are in one list. They are labeled by troop, example:

A1-15 Bass River 26960
B2-15 Bloomfield 26928
C3-15 Sayreville 53296

And the system wide talk groups are marked together:

A4/B5/C6-6 SouthStar 26800
A4/B5/C6-7 NorthStar 26832

Will it make it easier to figure out or not, putting them all together might make a long list. I hope others chime in! I have to give it more thought!

Septa3371CSX1

That's exactly how I'm suggesting it be combined together. John's file lists them with the actual alpha tags (A1-2, B2-4, C3-3, etc) used on the system. I understand it will make a long list but there are other statewide trunk systems in the database that have long lists as well.

JBuff27

WHY is only Troop A, B, and C listed in the present listings?

Where is Troops C and D listed?

W2SJW

Database Admin
I've been stewing on this one for a couple of months - I think it should be done as well. I'm willing to do a fair amount of the work, but I dare not take that kind of job on solo.

Any other NJ database admin willing to work on this if we decide to do it? :wink:

robbinsj2

WHY is only Troop A, B, and C listed in the present listings?

Where is Troops C and D listed?
Troops D and E are in the current listings, they piggy-back on the systems built for Troops A-C. They do have separate talkgroups, but do not have separate trunked systems.

Jim

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

How would that work with the newer radios that have sites? Enter everything 3 times? Not clear on that . I do agree the A-1, B-2 and C-3 lables need to be put back in so you know the troop talking.

Highpockets

I see pros and cons in this, I for one don't use the import feature, I like to enter mine by hand and put my own alpha tags, the 12 characters supplied on RR just doesn't do it for me. Example:

B2-15 BlmFld (12)
B2-15 Bloomfield (16)

I agree with you Scott, it will be some job! :D

robertpearsall

Premium Subscriber
I would like to see this done as i have all 3 systems in my bct15.I was thinking of merging all 3 but dont know how i would set it up what freqs or what system to make the main

robbinsj2

I'm all for merging them as long as a SysID search in the database for any of the three would get you this merged system.

I was thinking of merging all 3 but dont know how i would set it up what freqs or what system to make the main

Beware: one difficulty with programming them into a scanner as one system is that there is a NYC-area trunked system which shares a control channel frequency with Troop A. Anytime I go within range of it I have to either turn off the wildcards or remove that particular Troop A control channel from my programming. I think, but am not sure, that there are few or no overlapping TGIDs between the two systems so as long as you're not searching you should be okay..

Septa3371CSX1

Also, Vineland, NJ's trunked system uses control channels from Troop B and the south site of the DRPA EDACS system also uses some Troop B control channels. So beware.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Thinking of the people traveling to the area who import systems I'm not sure this is a good idea but that's just me.

The locals know the layout and which TG's belong to which troop but how about the visitors or new listeners?

I do agree that a fair number of TG's cross over into 2 systems at any given time ( WEll, GSP and TPK always do but...)

Just my .02
Dave

Septa3371CSX1

Bump! Seems like those who voted feel for the most part the combination should be done. Keep voting everyone - poll will be closed at my or the moderators' discretion once enough time has elapsed.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
Since I have the PSR500 it would be a benefit to be able to download the TGs into one system on the scanner and then have the 12 CC's listed for that system and would make it easier to roam. Yes there are overlapping issues with NYC and I have had that happen to me. In that case I have a separate system built with B/C and exclude A when I am more north. Cut and paste is a wonderful thing. With NJSP being Omnizone/Omnilink, the talkgroups per division is no longer necessary and we should look at it as a "statewide" system now versus 3 (or 5) separate agencies in 3 systems.

Tac-1

I have Pro-197 (PSR600) and I have merged all 3 systems A-B-C into one system i put the TRS mode into Stat with check all CC on and it works great i get B & C with no problem only need to have 1 channel entered for Tgs on mutiple systems, note im not in range of Div A the A control channels show NYC 800 DOITT but there are no dupilcate TGs NJSP & Doitt so far and i have just about every NJSP TG programed i also programed NJ transit control channel into the system and it works also so i have 5 TRS systems merged into 1 TSYS,(DIV A,B,C, NJT, Doitt) note you can also program the system for Roam mode which will lock onto the strongest control channel its finds in my case in locks onto Div B in Stat mode in monitors all systems. this type of setup is great for people who travel around the state and those of us that are in range of more then one Division dont known if uniden has theses TRS modes Roam & Stat

Last edited:

W2SJW

Database Admin
Well, after my poll being up for a good couple of weeks, I can see by almost a 2-to-1 margin that people want it merged. So far, I've come up with a rough estimate as to how to classify the talkgroups. It goes something like this:

Troop A South
Troop B North
Troop C Central
Statewide NJSP Operations
Toll Road Patrols (many I know lock these out now and then - way too much radio traffic).
EMS & Hospital Ops (this would include the MedEvac talkgroups)
Attorney General Ops
Special Investigative Unit (Camden & Irvington Units)
DRJTBC Operations
Human Services Operations (including DCF & DYFS)
NJ Task Force 1
NJ National Guard
Inter-Agency Operations (StateCom & others)
NJDOC
NJDOT
Outside Agencies (NJ Park PD, DCA, NJSPCA, etc...).

This just about mirrors what I have set up in my 396XT - I keep the toll roads, DOC, & DOT locked out unless something interesting is going on.

Last Friday, I noticed more traffic on the IMART talkgroups than I've ever heard before...

W2SJW

Database Admin
I'll give my classic response:

When I have time!

I need to build this up in 'staged' mode before I even think about pushing this out 'for real'. The fact that most of the current 3 systems are listed in ALL CAPS drives me nuts, and means that I won't be cutting any corners by doing a 'copy & paste' maneuver...

Status
Not open for further replies.