Mesa county countdown to dtrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlinko

Premium Subscriber
The hard line station alerting system is used by GJFD, Clifton, and Lower Valley FD's, or it was as of 2 years ago. The two-tone sequential is still used extensively as well. GJFD station portables can also be set to tone alert only during training, etc.

GJFD Command staff pages are to commercial alphanumeric pagers for GJFD, when I left the Comm Center callbacks were being made by command staff personnel, either by alpha page or by phone.

The Comm Center owns its own alpha paging system (VHF 154.785, 1200 baud POCSAG), with 4 transmitters to cover the whole county. Several departments use this system for alerting, along with two-tone sequential.

Several departments use a combination of alpha paging, two-tone, and text messaging to alert responders. The paging terminal at the Comm Center can send texts to most commercial paging companies and wireless carriers via TAP or TNPP. This was used a lot to send info to law enforcement cell phones as well.

When/if VHF goes away completely for these agencies, there is already a dedicated system in place with redundant transmitters to facilitate rapid alerting.

I agree that the rural departments will be using on their VHF radios for a long while, for the reasons you mentioned. I would expect that the valley departments will follow suit, for both federal and SAR interface in this county and others.

John N3RTS MNN-009
Grand Junction

Grand Junction FD is currently paged using an IP paging system, the old rf based system is still used as backup and tested once a week. Call-back pagers and command staff are still two-tone over the air.
Most of the outlying volunteer depts are still two-toned out over the air on Fire A, SO or their dept repeaters. I would guess that some of the hold-out depts are the ones that have their own VHF repeaters and interface with the BLM / Forest service. Carrying multiple radios doesn't make much sense and costs money that is pretty hard to come by.

Bruce

bluealien11

Sounds like GJPD and MCSO are operating on the DTRS system on GJ PD 1, GJ PD-2 (TGID 8431 and 8432)). They are also being simulcast on the VHF frequencies as well. Have not heard any Fire or EMS traffic yet though.

Last edited:
Sounds like GJPD and MCSO are operating on the DTRS system on GJ PD 1, GJ PD-2 (TGID 8431 and 8432)). They are also being simulcast on the VHF frequencies as well. Have not heard any Fire or EMS traffic yet though.

More than likely wont for a while unless GJFD decides to come up on it or a rare interop with Law.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber

dragoonusa

Talking to CSP their techs are programing Mesa County TG on the 22nd of March in their cars - DTRS was added to the MESA COUNTY com center last weekend and started to simulcast on PD and SO PRIMARY this week.
Mobiles are being Installed the next two weeks and handhelds will be issued before the 22nd.

jlinko

Premium Subscriber
Palisade Tactical, T/G 11759

Heard a Palisade FF trying to contact the Palisade PD Sgt (also a Palisade and East OM FF) on this T/G; referred to it as "Channel 3".

I think we can label this one as a Palisade tactical channel. Any other similar ones caught out there of late, in the event I've missed more than I should?

Thanks.

John MNN-009 N3RTS
Grand Junction

dragoonusa

N.R.Y. (Not Ready Yet) the 22nd of March date has been changed to APR 5, 2010. Programing and training Issues have pushed back the date to APR 5 as of this morning meeting with all county users. Simulcasting patches are being set and tested also. some officers in the field have pack sets for testing.

n0nhp

Annnd we just had our first simulcast of Fire A and 8441. The fire departments may not be as far behind as we theorized.

Bruce

bluealien11

Also heard Plateau Valley get paged yesterday, and upon acknowledging the page they advised the dispatcher to let the techs know that the "new digital pagers" they had did not go off.

dragoonusa

Mesa County updated List 3/27/2010
8430 Mesa County MAC 21
8431 Grand Junction PD Dispatch
8432 Mesa County SO Dispatch
8433 Grand Junction PD Data Ch-3
8434 Grand Junction PD Investigations Ch-4
8435 Grand Junction PD Drug Task Force Ch-5
8436 Grand Junction PD Tac 1
8437 Grand Junction PD Tac 2
8438 Grand Junction PD Tac 3
8439 Grand Junction PD Tac 4
8440 Grand Junction PD SWAT
8441 Grand Junction FD Dispatch
8442 Grand Junction FD Tac Ch-2
8443 Grand Junction FD Tac Ch-3
8444 Grand Junction FD Tac Ch-4
8445 Colbran Law Enforcement
8446 Grand Junction EMS Ch-2
8447 Grand Junction EMS Ch-3
8448 Mesa County SO Jail Ch-1
8449 Mesa County SO Jail Ch-2
8450 Mesa County SO Courthouse Security
8451 Mesa County SO Inmate Transport
8452 Mesa County SO SAR
8453 Mesa County SO Rural Area SAR
8454 Mesa County SO Command Staff
8455 Mesa County SO Investigations
8456 Mesa County SO Investigations
8457 Mesa County SO Training and TAC
8458 Mesa County Road and Bridge
8459 Mesa County Road and Bridge
11751 Clifton Fire Tac
11759 Palisade Fire Tac
11760 Plateau Valley Tac

n0nhp

Just got back from my Wild-fire Refresher class, members of the Grand Junction Fire Dept. attending the class have been told that GJFD is transitioning to DTRS on Saturday April 3.
Good discussion on having to carry multiple radios to cover all possible responders to a wildland fire.

Bruce

jlinko

Premium Subscriber
This afternoon I heard Fire Department training on 8436, GJPD Tac 1. Yesterday, there were targeted PD traffic operations on the same talkgroup.

An internal "transition memo" released March 31 makes references to TAC 1, TAC 2, and TAC 3 as unencrypted talkgroups, with TAC 4 and TAC 5 as encrypted. I'm under the assumption that this refers to TGs 8436, 8437, 8438, 8439, and 8440.

This same memo, under Fire and EMS, states that tactical assignments can be made to TAC 1, TAC 2, or TAC 3. There appears to be no differentiation in the memo between law and fire.

Given the traffic monitored today, along with the lack of traffic on other talkgroups seemingly labeled for tactical use by Fire and EMS (8442-8446, with encrypted traffic occasionally on 8447, "EMS 3"), it appears that tactical channels are being currently being assigned to all agencies from TGs 8436 through 8440. Apparently, these are also available to the dispatcher should the demands of the incident require one and staffing is available.

John N3RTS MNN-009
Grand Junction

Status
Not open for further replies.