Michigan State University system needs better TG descriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmi8dy

look

for law enforcement and fire, msu shares with east lansing and meridian township on their edacs system. go to michigan, ingham county. click on ingham county public safety edacs system. on top of page. scroll down till you see east lansing, msu, meridian township

Last edited:

GeneseeCoMI

for law enforcement and fire, msu shares with east lansing and meridean township on their edacs system. go to michigan, ingham county, lansing, scroll down

Yeah I know that, I listen to it all the time. I'm talking about the maintenance talkgroups, there's way too many labelled "Ops".

kmi8dy

by lisening you should be able to tell what their doing, just saying.. if its the boiler house, garbage pickup, security guards at games ,food venders at the cafiterias, electrical maint, landscapping, ect, ect. op's are most likely supervisors talking to their bosses or team leaders talking to their bosses. only found 4 enid's probly not used. personally these radio's have very little traffic at all and if your also listening to police and fire they would be lost in the other traffic unless you like to hear that someone is done moping classroom 323, or ladies bathroom in building 37 c is out of toilet paper.

Last edited:

GeneseeCoMI

by lisening you should be able to tell what their doing, just saying.. if its the boiler house, garbage pickup, security guards at games ,food venders at the cafiterias, electrical maint, landscapping, ect, ect.

Yeah whoever submitted them should have figured that out first. "Ops" is insufficient and submissions like that should be rejected IMO.

kmi8dy

cm'on guy i'm not trying to argue with you, just throwing ideas at the wall and seeing if anything sticks. at least we have a list to go by, better than nothing at all. maybe some one will chime in latter and have the full list. by the way i thought i was the only one hanging out this late hear, nice to know i'm not the only one.

GeneseeCoMI

cm'on guy i'm not trying to argue with you, just throwing ideas at the wall and seeing if anything sticks. at least we have a list to go by, better than nothing at all. maybe some one will chime in latter and have the full list. by the way i thought i was the only one hanging out this late hear, nice to know i'm not the only one.

Yeah I hope so.

I'm usually up all night. Best time to DX. Conditions are good tonight and I happened to pick up the MSU system and then I noticed this problem.

Last edited:

kirk5056

Premium Subscriber
It appears that you are looking at the MSU college owned trucked system. That is the college house keeping talk groups. So all of the "ops" are probably just temp assigned TGs. If you are looking for MSU police, fire and EMS you need to look at the Ingham county trucked system.

GeneseeCoMI

It appears that you are looking at the MSU college owned trunked system. That is the college house keeping talk groups. So all of the "ops" are probably just temp assigned TGs. If you are looking for MSU police, fire and EMS you need to look at the Ingham county trunked system.

I doubt they're temporary. I bet whoever submitted them didn't bother to listen to them long enough to figure out who was using them and for what purpose, and no one else has done so since either.

Like I said earlier, I'm well aware that public safety is on the Ingham County system. I have all of it programmed already. It's one of my DX targets even though it usually sounds like crap whenever it does come in and it's pretty boring most of the time too.

Last edited:

kirk5056

Premium Subscriber
Since ALL the info on RR is user submitted, I am surprised that anyone "bothered" to listen long enough to (what must be a very boring radio system) figure out the TGs belonged to Maintenance.

GeneseeCoMI

Since ALL the info on RR is user submitted, I am surprised that anyone "bothered" to listen long enough to (what must be a very boring radio system) figure out the TGs belonged to Maintenance.

Boring yes, but that's no excuse to just give up and submit them all as "Ops". What are the talkgroups' actual names/usages? If someone says "Go to the Ops channel" does the other person say "Which one, there's 27 of them????"

Last edited:

kirk5056

Premium Subscriber
You set a high bar for people that volunteer their time and equipment to get the info. I am just thankful for the submissions that we get. This is truly one of the most informative sites on the web.

GeneseeCoMI

You set a high bar for people that volunteer their time and equipment to get the info. I am just thankful for the submissions that we get. This is truly one of the most informative sites on the web.

I agree with you 100%. I love this site and use it all the time and appreciate all of those who submit since I've submitted tons of info myself over the years, so I know how difficult and time consuming it can be to identify some talkgroups (I've been working on a few for years it seems, so have others, see here for example). This site is an excellent source of info, but some pages really need improvement. I see a lot of pages that have talkgroups labelled "Ops", which annoys me, but I usually let it slide. This one had way more than usual though so I thought I'd point it out so hopefully more people would try to figure out what they really are and send in some better info. This site is a group effort and the more who help the better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.