• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Microsoft releases public beta of Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
I'm downloading it now. 3.3 GB!!! Won't take too long here. I've been wanting to work with it for awhile. I'm slowly seeing the light of Linux now but we'll see what vista has to offer!

kb5udf

Keep me posted (please)

I'm curious how much physical ram it will use just to run the bare OS.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Just a heads up for those that dont know:

In addition, once you install Windows Vista Beta 2 (or RC1) you cannot roll back to the previous operating system installation—you will either have to acquire and install the final released edition of Windows Vista or reinstall a previous edition of Windows. Before installing Windows Vista Beta 2 on any computer, please remember to back up all your files.

There are already a bunch of reports of crashing PC's so be carefull if you don't know what you're doing!!

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
scanner_freak said:

There are already a bunch of reports of crashing PC's so be carefull if you don't know what you're doing!!
Better advice would be that if you don't know what you're doing, don't horse f*^k your machine by downloading it.:p

Last edited:

Al42

Vista requires 1 gig of RAM just to run (so you'd better have at least 1.5 gigs), 15 gigs of free disk space on which to install and, unless you have a pretty high end video card, you'll be in mono.

I think MS gets kickbacks from the hardware manufacturers.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Always helps when you provide accurate info ;>

A Windows Vista Capable PC includes at least:

* A modern processor (at least 800MHz1).
* 512 MB of system memory.
* A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable.

If you don't have a high-end graphic card, you will not have mono display. You just won't have the Aero graphical interface. Any card bought today for $30 is capable.

cschmit

Now if everyone would just stop downloading I could start my download, lol. Getting tired of the "Servers are too busy try again later" Notice.. LOL. I may have to wait till next week to get mine...

MacombMonitor

scanner_freak said:

That's why I included this in my post earlier today:

Note: This is beta code and should not be used in a production environment or on a main machine in the home. Beta 2 is intended for developers, IT professionals and technology experts to continue or begin their testing of Windows Vista. Before you decide to use Beta 2, you should feel comfortable with installing operating systems, updating drivers, and general PC troubleshooting. Some risks of using beta operating systems include hardware and software incompatibility and system instability. If you have concerns about installing this beta software on your computer, we encourage you to obtain the final release version of Windows Vista when it is available in 2007.

wesct

vista specs

not all video card chipsets are supported

taken from the windows vista site:

A modern processor (at least 800MHz1).
512 MB of system memory.
A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable
A Windows Vista Premium Ready PC includes at least:
1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor1.
1 GB of system memory.
A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero2.
128 MB of graphics memory.
40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
DVD-ROM Drive3.
Audio output capability.
Internet access capability.Windows Vista Capable and Premium Ready footnotes
Processor speed is specified as the nominal operational processor frequency for the device. Some processors have power management which allows the processor to run at lower rate to save power.
Windows Aero requires:
DirectX 9 class graphics processor that:
Supports a WDDM Driver.
Supports Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware.
Supports 32 bits per pixel.
Adequate graphics memory.
64 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor less than 1,310,720 pixels
128 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions from 1,310,720 to 2,304,000 pixels
256 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions higher than 2,304,000 pixels
Meets graphics memory bandwidth requirements, as assessed by Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor running on Windows XP
A DVD-ROM may be external (not integral, not built into the system).
Can the Windows Vista experience vary on different PCs?
Yes. Windows Vista is the first Windows operating system with a user experience that adapts to take advantage of the capabilities of the hardware on which it is installed.
All Windows Vista Capable PCs will be able to run at least the core experiences of Windows Vista.
All Windows Vista Premium Ready PCs can deliver even better Windows Vista experiences, including the new Windows Aero user experience.
Does buying a Windows Vista Capable PC mean that I will receive a free upgrade to Windows Vista?
No. A PC that is Windows Vista Capable or Premium Ready means that the PC is ready for an upgrade from Windows XP. You would still need to purchase the edition of Windows Vista that you want to install on your Windows Vista Capable or Premium Ready PC.

Al42

rdale said:
Always helps when you provide accurate info ;>

* A modern processor (at least 800MHz1).
* 512 MB of system memory.
Try running existing MS operating systems on their minimum RAM requirements. Vista requires half a gig for Vista so, unless all you want is to watch your desktop, you'll need more RAM.
* A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable.
Read further. For 1280 X 1024, you need at least 128 megs of video RAM. So if you want color on 1024X840, you can get by with a 64 meg card.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
I've got 768RAM and it's working just fine. Vista does not require half-a-gig for Vista, otherwise they would make the memory requirement higher. Most desktops run at 1024x840 in the first place, so I don't think that's going to be a big issue.

The point is - you do need to have a "current" PC to run Vista, but it doesn't have to be anything expensive. My box ran about $350 to build and it's more than ample.

Jeffn8wb

I doubt that I will install it until people have had a chance to kick the tires and see how well it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.