Mid-Air Refueling over Nova Scotia

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE1C4NSC4N

Premium Subscriber
Wow, thanks a bunch for that post and the links, and sure enough AR-20 just popped up on the scanner as I'm typing lol...thats kick ass timeing lol, thanks for the heads up :D

darrylcn

I'll take Pease frequencies if you've got them, sure. I also corrected the "I seen" in my above post. Yeee-haw! Glad to hear they've got the new motors, I was starting to doubt my airplane geekness for a sec there :)

jetcrafter

Premium Subscriber
I'll take Pease frequencies if you've got them, sure. I also corrected the "I seen" in my above post. Yeee-haw! Glad to hear they've got the new motors, I was starting to doubt my airplane geekness for a sec there :)

Ok, I'll try to put up a list of freqs that will get you going at Pease. I'm getting off the computer so I will get to it tomorrow and post them here.

I'll try to find a decent list for Logan too.

Good evening.

NE1C4NSC4N

Premium Subscriber
Just heard them talking back and forth about an Instructor and something about a qualified but not something pilot lol. They have disconnected a couple times that I heard, I think maybe the new guy is having a hard time lol :)

jetcrafter

Premium Subscriber

Instead of typing in all my stuff, I checked what I have with the list on ScanNewEngland.net and theirs is pretty accurate. Put these freqs in for Pease and it should cover everything there is to hear for military comms.

Pease freqs on SNE Wiki:
New Hamp Military - Scan New England Wiki

I don't have my own list for Boston Logan but this seems to be a good one on Radioreference.com.

Boston Logan Airport - RR.com database:
Logan International Airport (BOS) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Wow! That was too easy. Saved me a bunch of typing too!

Hope this helps,

jetcrafter

Premium Subscriber
Heads Up - 2 B-1s over you now.

LOOK UP!!

Friday afternoon 4:29pm EDT / 2029z

Two B-1s are heading towards AR-20 NE right now!! Being refueled by two tankers callsign ETHYL B1 and ETHYL B2. B-1 bombers are RAMA 31 and RAMA 32.

Heard them on 133.450 Boston Center

They are using 341.75 for refueling comms.

** 2033z -- Just checked in with Moncton Center on 123.9 Flight of FIVE!!! (Might have an extra B-1 as spare)

Good Luck catching them!

jetcrafter

Premium Subscriber
Wow. Five Bones. Bad day to work late!

No no no no. It was 3 bones and two tankers. The tankers returned to Pease and one bone is returning to Dyess as I type. Here's the info:

ETHYL B1 - Pease tanker.
ETHYL B2 - Pease tanker
RAMA 31 - B1 heading over the pond
RAMA 32 - B1 heading over the pond
RAMA 33 - B1 returning. Spare in case one plane had mechanical probs and couldn't make the trip.

I'm sorry no one was able to look up and get a nice visual on that. Would have been a great photo!!

NE1C4NSC4N

Premium Subscriber
I heard, and saw those babys going by, and man could you ever tell by the sound they made, what a rumble compared to what I normally hear at my home..I was outside BBQing, and saw what I think was the second pair.

I wish I knew it was a B1, I would have gotten the camera out, still was cool to see, and hear :)

jetcrafter

Premium Subscriber
I heard, and saw those babys going by, and man could you ever tell by the sound they made, what a rumble compared to what I normally hear at my home..I was outside BBQing, and saw what I think was the second pair.

I wish I knew it was a B1, I would have gotten the camera out, still was cool to see, and hear :)

Well, you need to have some kind of alert sent to your cell phone or something like that. When there's a post on this group, it will alert you and next time, you'll get a great picture for all of us to drool over! :)

Still, I'm glad you were able to see and HEAR the great B-1 bomber! One of the most impressive displays of loudness I have ever seen at an airshow!! Love it! Give me loud rumbling jet noise!!

darrylcn

Glad someone was lucky enough to see 'em.. Hey on an unrelated note, has anyone ever encountered the issue of not being able to post, even though they're logged in? I guy I know from ScanMaritimes is trying to contribute here but he's asked to log in (even though he is) when attempting to post.

jetcrafter

Premium Subscriber
Glad someone was lucky enough to see 'em.. Hey on an unrelated note, has anyone ever encountered the issue of not being able to post, even though they're logged in? I guy I know from ScanMaritimes is trying to contribute here but he's asked to log in (even though he is) when attempting to post.

Is he logged into the radioreference home page or logged into the forums section? It may matter.

Other than that, I don't have any idea why he shouldn't be able to post. May be a possible question for forums administrator?

NE1C4NSC4N

Premium Subscriber
Well, you need to have some kind of alert sent to your cell phone or something like that.

Good idea Ed, I think I'll organize that.. I was actually thinking how could I have some sort of alert other then just the scanner..I tinkered with ACARs a bit, but I didnt seem to "see" the Mil birds, only civi's with the setup I used at least. Is there anything like ACARs that they use that I could monitor similary?

jetcrafter

Premium Subscriber
Good idea Ed, I think I'll organize that.. I was actually thinking how could I have some sort of alert other then just the scanner..I tinkered with ACARs a bit, but I didnt seem to "see" the Mil birds, only civi's with the setup I used at least. Is there anything like ACARs that they use that I could monitor similary?

There is a Mode S receiver that will see some military flights. Mostly AMC aircraft but sometimes a fighter or two. It's called an SBS box.

From my limited knowledge of these boxes, there seems to be two brands available.
Kinetic Avionics SBS-1eR and Airnav Radarbox. Users of each will tell you theirs is the
best but from what I've seen and heard from many users is that the Kinetics brand has
better support and features, options.

Here's links to the websites:

Kinetic Avionics:
Kinetic Avionic Products - Home Page

Airnav Radarbox:
AirNav RadarBox - The World's Best selling Mode-s ADS-B Virtual Radar

Here's a "free" sample of the loggings and how they look. There is a person in St. John that uploads his data and if you scroll through, you will see his.

Military Air planes with Mode-S ADS-B

Click any of the three links provided to see the reports. The first is live and updated often.

Hope this helps with the ACARS like data question. I know that you can have this thread send alerts via email to let you know if someone posts on it, maybe that will help with your alerts. It's usually in your account settings for this forum.

NE1C4NSC4N

Premium Subscriber
Hope this helps with the ACARS like data question. I know that you can have this thread send alerts via email to let you know if someone posts on it, maybe that will help with your alerts. It's usually in your account settings for this forum.

It did help Ed, thanks, I was wondering if these boxes would do Milair, also I just need to add the right email account to my phone and I should be good to go!

I'm kicking my self now for not grabbing the bino's or the camera earlier lol, I saw them shortly after they were seperating, and they were almost out of site. I just sipped a beer and smiled as I watched, tickeled by the sound, such a deep rumble compared to a commercial bus..and at 20k plus, It just dawned on me now how loud it would really be up close..cause it was distinctive, even my cousin who was over could hear them noticably, but didnt see them.

I live on the track for the local Airport more or less, so I'm pretty used to the sound of aircraft, and I'm just wow'ed the more I think about it lol..Maybe they were full throttle to get back to crusiing speed or something..its kick ass knowing it was a B1, another sexy beast :D

Status
Not open for further replies.