Mid-Atlantic Digital Radio network - Connect Plus system 141

BM82557

Did anyone get the updated repeater MAP?

Can you please send it to me please.

My pc crashed while I was out of the house today, back up and running at 8:06 pm. I had it set on site 141-43 this morning but don't know if I missed it because of the crash or because it wasn't sent out on the site

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Did anyone get the updated repeater MAP?

Can you please send it to me please.

I did not. My buddy did not. We tried like hell but couldn't, because every frequency we could have gotten a repeater map from had a closer DMR control channel on it 6.25 khz away that obliterated it !

I'm betting somebody (whose name I won't mention) probably got an updated system map, but he's unlikely to share it. I haven't even seen that somebody post on the forums in months.

Any time I see a network map being broadcast though, I will be sure and try to notify you guys. I'll should you and BM an email if I ever see it happening again, just in case you don't get to the forums in time.

Mike

druhe

Premium Subscriber
I did not. My buddy did not. We tried like hell but couldn't, because every frequency we could have gotten a repeater map from had a closer DMR control channel on it 6.25 khz away that obliterated it !

I'm betting somebody (whose name I won't mention) probably got an updated system map, but he's unlikely to share it. I haven't even seen that somebody post on the forums in months.

Any time I see a network map being broadcast though, I will be sure and try to notify you guys. I'll should you and BM an email if I ever see it happening again, just in case you don't get to the forums in time.

Mike

I could have easily done this, however I have no idea how. What is needed ? And how often is it done ?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I could have easily done this, however I have no idea how. What is needed ? And how often is it done ?

I hope you don't think I was talking about you... I wasn't :) The whole trick with the network map is that it's unpredictable. Only the system maintainers know when one is going to be transmitted. I'm sure it can be done on a weekly/monthly type of schedule, but I bet it probably only happens after some significant changes have been made and the maintainer wants to ensure that all of the radios get updated -- and they probably then force a network map broadcast.

DSDPlus FL and a dongle is all you need. If a network map is being broadcast on a site that you are monitoring, an alert will come up on the screen indicating so. It will say which LCN it is being broadcast on. That LCN might be the second timeslot of the current CC, or it might be on a timeslot on one of the normal voice CCs. When I was monitoring the other day, two or three of the 25-29 sites (you know, rochester mills, blairsville, etc) were sending it right on the second timeslot of the CC. But if you are monitoring it and the CC says its broadcasting on some other LCN, you'll then have to switch DSDPlus to that frequency/LCN in order to pick up the map. They are generally broadcast for many hours. And they are repeatedly broadcast. There is no confirmation from any radios during the process that they have received it (I think it's using UDP protocol), so it gets broadcast for many hours or perhaps even a day across [usually] all sites so that as many radios as possible have a chance to pick up the changes.

Having the ability to use DSDPLus though is a requirement of it.

Mike

Linkero

I'll be monitoring site 43 for the next 24 hours to see if I get lucky. I checked last night at midnight, hoping it'd get broadcast at the start of a new day, but no luck. Hopefully they're still broadcasting it so someone can grab it.

BM82557

I'll be monitoring site 43 for the next 24 hours to see if I get lucky. I checked last night at midnight, hoping it'd get broadcast at the start of a new day, but no luck. Hopefully they're still broadcasting it so someone can grab it.

Last April site 43 had it at 07:59 during the work week which was when I received it.

Linkero

Last April site 43 had it at 07:59 during the work week which was when I received it.

I'll monitor throughout the week then. With that time, it seems it may have been pushed through manually? I'm hoping none of us missed it.

Edit: By the way, how was it determined an updated map was going to be broadcast? I'd love to be ready for next time. I was a bit late to the party this time around in terms of noticing the post.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I'll monitor throughout the week then. With that time, it seems it may have been pushed through manually? I'm hoping none of us missed it.

Edit: By the way, how was it determined an updated map was going to be broadcast? I'd love to be ready for next time. I was a bit late to the party this time around in terms of noticing the post.

It was determined by accident, which is almost always how it will happen unless the maintainers of the system and you have been informed of / have figured out the schedule.

In my case, a buddy of mine just happened to be scanning 454 mhz with his beam pointed west (from Ohio), like he does many times a week. He saw a little bit of tropo enhancement, as witnessed by the increased signal strength of some MADRN sites. So he fired up DSDPlus and monitored the CC of 3 or 4 sites for a while. When he started monitoring the first site, DSDPlus displayed the notice that a network map was being broadcast and DSDPlus started to gather the map. Unfortunately, the sites were fading in and out very quickly and he couldn't get a clean network map written to disk. If the signal was good, it would have automatically gathered and wrote the network map.

Mike

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Basically, whenever you are sitting at the computer twiddling thumbs and doing nonimportant things, just fire up DSDPlus and monitor the CC of your closest CON+ sites for a few minutes. If a map is being broadcast it will tell you.

mike

Linkero

It was determined by accident, which is almost always how it will happen unless the maintainers of the system and you have been informed of / have figured out the school.

In my case, a buddy of mine just happened to be scanning 454 mhz with his beam pointed west (from Ohio), like he does many times a week. He saw a little bit of tropo enhancement, as witnessed by the increased signal strength of some MADRN sites. So he fired up DSDPlus and monitored the CC of 3 or 4 sites for a while. When he started monitoring the first site, DSDPlus displayed the notice that a network map was being broadcast and DSDPlus started to gather the map. Unfortunately, the sites were fading in and out very quickly and he couldn't get a clean network map written to disk. If the signal was good, it would have automatically gathered and wrote the network map.

Mike

I was hoping you wouldn't say that, and mention it was a planned event. I'll have to make note to monitor it more, as it isn't a network I look at often. Kudos to your buddy that noticed it!

druhe

Premium Subscriber
I hope you don't think I was talking about you... I wasn't :) The whole trick with the network map is that it's unpredictable. Only the system maintainers know when one is going to be transmitted. I'm sure it can be done on a weekly/monthly type of schedule, but I bet it probably only happens after some significant changes have been made and the maintainer wants to ensure that all of the radios get updated -- and they probably then force a network map broadcast.

DSDPlus FL and a dongle is all you need. If a network map is being broadcast on a site that you are monitoring, an alert will come up on the screen indicating so. It will say which LCN it is being broadcast on. That LCN might be the second timeslot of the current CC, or it might be on a timeslot on one of the normal voice CCs. When I was monitoring the other day, two or three of the 25-29 sites (you know, rochester mills, blairsville, etc) were sending it right on the second timeslot of the CC. But if you are monitoring it and the CC says its broadcasting on some other LCN, you'll then have to switch DSDPlus to that frequency/LCN in order to pick up the map. They are generally broadcast for many hours. And they are repeatedly broadcast. There is no confirmation from any radios during the process that they have received it (I think it's using UDP protocol), so it gets broadcast for many hours or perhaps even a day across [usually] all sites so that as many radios as possible have a chance to pick up the changes.

Having the ability to use DSDPLus though is a requirement of it.

Mike

No worries, I knew it wasn't directed at me. I have DSP+ I'll get it set up and see what comes along. I haven't been monitoring MidAtlantic since Pa StarNet started the build out and my attention has been focused there. Thanks for the info.

BM82557

No network map on site 43 yet but am seeing a site 64 which isn't in the db -

Attachments

• Screenshot - 10_15_2018 , 09_31_11.png
    Screenshot - 10_15_2018 , 09_31_11.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 111

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

If you don't have a good signal on Site 43, you might be getting some bad information regarding neighbors. Or, if you were monitoring some other freq and then switched to the Site 43 CC, you might have remnants of neighbors from some other site.

Please monitor Site 43 control channel, and while doing that press "d" to remove any of the trunking information that could have gotten corrupt so that it will repopulate it (including neighbors). Then at that time if you can please capture a screenshot of all of the neighbors.

For any site you are monitoring, having 8 and 9 and 41 as neighbors just doesn't make sense because there are a lot of active sites between 8/9 and 41 (Dupont). Site 43 for sure shouldn't be showing 41 as a neighbor.

Mike

Last edited:

Linkero

Hmm I'm not showing 41 or 64 as neighbors on my end. My curiosity is now piqued. I did notice some traffic on TG 4190. I'll have to listen to the log to figure out what it is, but I'm thinking its related to Rabbit transit. Also noticed a TG 139952 for 2 seconds, not sure what that was about.

Edit: and just now a TG 9039916, same duration, both were on slot 2

BM82557

If you don't have a good signal on Site 43, you might be getting some bad information regarding neighbors. Or, if you were monitoring some other freq and then switched to the Site 43 CC, you might have remnants of neighbors from some other site.

Please monitor Site 43 control channel, and while doing that press "d" to remove any of the trunking information that could have gotten corrupt so that it will repopulate it (including neighbors). Then at that time if you can please capture a screenshot of all of the neighbors.

For any site you are monitoring, having 8 and 9 and 41 as neighbors just doesn't make sense because there are a lot of active sites between 8/9 and 41 (Dupont). Site 43 for sure shouldn't be showing 41 as a neighbor.

Mike

Did that and it didn't reappear. Sorry for the bad info. Thanks

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Did that and it didn't reappear. Thanks

Welcome. That's something to be careful about, even with DSDPlus. Weak signals can easily produce inaccurate results, and switching from control channel to control channel on the fly without clearing out existing data with 'd' can do the same thing.

Mike

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Have to agree, probably bad data.

But another possibility, based on 43's location, Is that a new site 64 is possible.

Fawn Grove/York WPNT938

We need to snag that new repeater map... :)

Linkero

There's chatter on TG 12325. It sounds farming related but my signal keeps fading out whenever they're talking. TG 4190 is sounding like Rabbit Transit. The dispatchers voice sounded the same as the one on 4411 today. I have nearly all day tomorrow to listen in so I'll be trying to confirm both.

Still no new repeater map here.

Had a bit of activity on TG 200 this morning. It's labeled as Radio techs in the database, but it was encrypted. I was hoping the map was going to follow but it didn't :(

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Repeater map being broadcast on Site 141-28 Johnstown, Ch 2 (LCN1) 454.53125

Likely being transmitted on at least some other sites.

11:46 AM Friday morning