• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Midland extra switch underneath 13-882c

Status
Not open for further replies.

darticus

Why would anyone add a switch on the bottom of the radio to change the radio? Its like an a b toggle switch and the radio has a paper saying 1x - 14 and 2x - 15. Any old timers know what they did years ago? Seems like the receive on the meter goes toward 0 on the meter when someone talks on another radio. When I talk a nearby radio meter also goes to 0 but my modulation looks good on my radio meter. Ron

LtDoc

As for that extra switch, there's no telling what it does. I didn't understand about the meter question.
- 'Doc

KBIL2117

truckerseven@gmail.com

It sounds like your radio was modded to have extra channels above the 23 or 40 that it came with.
Back in the late 80's early 90's, we used to get our radios modded at truckstop parking lots. The more popular mods were talkback, you could hear your own voice thru the speaker when tx. also echo and modulation improvements were helpful when trying to talk over the drivers in the lot parked next to you.
We would have the switches for extra channels on the bottom , the switches for the talkback and echo "toys" would got on top.
Here is a link that may be interesting PLL Frequency Expansion

darticus

Fantastic! Today I used the switch and when I first used it I got an antenna warning light and thought I could hear my voice coming out of the radio. Would the number 1-14 and 2x-15 written on top mean anything? Do you know how the switch was used in the day. Did it work on all channels for sound mods? If you had extra channels did you have to be on a certain channel? How did the channels work? Do you know how I would go about seeing whats in this radio? Thanks Ron

Last edited:

puzzleriddle

I'd advise ya to get a Frequency counter & NOT TX on anything.. if a local ham hears ya he will turn you in to FCC if on a NON CB licensed frequency. ALSO Ya an SWR/Watt meter, not telling whats ben done to the radio

darticus

Midland has crystals connected to the switch. One crystal has numbers 11806 the other crystal not able to read unless unsoldered. This crystal also has an adjustable pot attached. The switch with crystals and pot connects to a section marked 101x on board. See pics. 14-1 15-2x
ROYCE model #1-632 front added Switch is connected to channel switching knob circuit underneath and to the PLL OSC UNIT. Both marked with an X in the pic. Checked mic connection looks ok but Royce still squeals when turned on and continues as long as on. I turn it off quickly. Squelch will stop squeal but doesn't really help radio it must have short. I think both radios are using added frequencies. Can't find where the speakers were connected originally to see if their shorted on the Royce. Anyone know where the speaker was connected on the Royce? Someone must have remover the wires and speaker. Using external speaker to hear. Thanks Ron

Attachments

• 2011-09-21_09-05-47_348.jpg
    2011-09-21_09-05-47_348.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,968
  • 2011-09-21_09-05-58_282.jpg
    2011-09-21_09-05-58_282.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 2,093
  • 2011-09-21_09-06-15_3.jpg
    2011-09-21_09-06-15_3.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 2,048
  • 20110920_7.JPG
    20110920_7.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 2,171
Last edited:

darticus

Unsoldered the switch stuff. What it is is a 30 pf capacitor #11806 the trimmer capacitor and 1 crystal 11900. Does this tell us what its set up for? Thanks Ron

RiverRat1976

The switch with the factory crystal, and added crystal with the trimmer, is due to the fact that someone installed this for "extra channels" This is not a Midland factory design, this is an aftermarket modification. The extra crystal is to expand the frequency coverage and the trimmer is for adjusting the frequency of the crystal since these types of modifications tend to slide off of frequency on a regular basis.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Oh hello, that setup looks SO familiar. The guys are right, that switch is for "extree channels" back before PLL frequency synthesis which before locked PLL chips made it an easy and neat job but I digress.

That's a 23 channel rig using crystal synthesis so the switch changes one of the main crystals for those channels and the green thing is a trimmer cap used to fine tune the frequency. The reason your antenna warning light lit is the SWR on those channels is prohibitive, that antenna is unsuitable for that frequency range.

There are two ways to find out which of the 23 channels corresponds to which extra channel, both require a 50 ohm dummy load so you don't damage the radio. First a frequency counter likely you don't have but the second is finding the frequency on a receiver likely you do have like an SW receiver or scanner capable of monitoring CB. Then you can make up a channel chart one by one as you go along, what you do about using those channels is up to you.

"Are you feeling lucky today, PUNK!"
Dirty Harry has your number. (;->)

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
CB shops get mixed reviews like 222 Papa Bear, some love him, some hate him. The trouble is they're hacks who THINK they know radio like some CBers always have but all they do is make them jump through hoops they were never intended to do. Sometimes they get lucky, sometimes they don't which leads to those mixed reviews.

The days of knowledgeable techs are long gone, once upon a time they held FCC licenses certifying their proficiency and could be trusted like Caruso Electronics where I took my rig. Tom was not only a ham but held a 2nd Class Radiotelephone license (1st and 2nd now grandfathered into GROL) which legally still is required to service CBs. To protect his licenses he always checked transmitters for meeting legal specs before releasing them to customers same as I did when working under the supervision of a P2. Unfortunately trying to find a licensed tech these days is like trying to find a needle in a haystack without a magnet.

Well, if that "real" tech holds a GROL don't take that modified rig to him, he'll remove the mod. Now if on the other hand doesn't but actually knows something he's the one who can find that extra frequency range with ease, likely he has a dummy load and frequency counter. He might even re-tune the rig to make sure it works properly over the entire frequency range if you treat him nice, a bottle of his favorite joy juice helps.

BTW Reading used to be one of my stomping grounds back in my CB daze, I joined the locals "up top" in the parking lot on Mount Penn that doubled as lovers lane in the back seat with Dorian, a local YL. (;->) Funny how the 222 shop is nowhere near Reading but much closer to Fleetwood between Temple and Kutztown along Allentown Pike also known as PA 222. Funny how that was my escape route when a Night On Storm Mountain went horribly wrong, as they came up Duryea Drive from City Park I was going down the back road into Pennside...

Last edited:

sdeeter19555

I use dtb radio. He is one of the few respectable guys out there anymore, and is worth the drive to Carlilse to have radio work done. In the world of radio shops, he's probably one of the top ten in the country...

Status
Not open for further replies.