• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Midland GXT1000 external charge jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanZor

I noticed that the speaker/mic jack on the GXT1000 also has an input for charging.

The Mic jack seems to double as a CHG jack as well. It is mentioned on Page 16 of the paper manual "Note: You can charge a rechargeable NIMH battery pack through the CHG jack".

Thing is, I don't see any specs or any accessory to take advantage of recharging this way. Has anyone done it?

I will admit that I'll probably never use the dinky proprietary 700mah pack with this radio as having 4 AA's as a power option was one of the big reasons I chose it. But still, I'm curious if anyone has recharged through the mic jack, and if so, what the specs are...

redneckcellphone

Premium Subscriber
i had 2 of the midlands not sure which model a had the same understanding as yourself. nether of the cables that it came with would fit into the headset slot to charge. never found out what cable i needed though to do it.

nanZor

The wall-wart is rated at 9v, 300ma. It appears to be unregulated, measuring about 14.5 volts without a load. AND, the mobile cable appears to be just a straight pass-through with a fuse, so the voltage input seems to be pretty wide.

Quite frankly, I'm not going to chance it with the mic/charge input.

On a side note, I really like the receiver so far. It is as sensitive as my Uniden 396. What really blew my mind was that a RS Pro-106 with an RH77 duck is completely deaf compared to the GXT on weak signals. I mean *nothing* is heard on weak FRS with the pro106 with the squelch wide open, when it breaks squelch on the GXT. I think this might be a keeper!

nanZor

It appears that some of the Midlands that don't come with a drop-in charger only come with a small 9v / 100 ma wall wart with the special plug for the side.

I borrowed my neighbor's midland wall wart and it charged my GXT1000 just fine.

I suppose if one wanted it bad enough, they could get the baby 9v/100 ma wall wart from Midland direct if they wanted to - but I'd be sure to mention wanting to use the mic/charger jack to make sure you get the right plug for it.

nanZor

I did an FCC ID search for an 800 series Midland and found these specs in the tune-up procedures for the mic/charge jack:

9v, 55-75 milliamps.

Heh, I've got better things to do than trickle charge a 700ma oem pack of 5-AAA's for 12 hours. I'm sticking to an external charger and AA LSD or "pre-charged" rechargeables, or disposable AA's as a last resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.