• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

midland landmobile commercial radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

adampvfd

A friend of mine just currently got a job with the local animal shelter as the dog warden and the 911 center wants you to talk to them on 39.90 mhz. He has a midland landmobile model 70-0375B commercial radio that will work but when attempting to transmit, it will for about a second and then stops and throws error code E3. I have a slight radio background but i have no idea about what the error codes mean or what to do to fix it. can some one please help??

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
ok. thanks. what do we need to do to fix it?

Honest answer: It will cost more to have it repaired (if a shop will even work on it) that it will to buy a good used programmable two way. There are lots of them for sale these days including high quality portables from Motorola and others.

It it was me, I'd hunt for a bargain on a Motorola CDM or GM300 series. But then I have the software and cables to program them plus lots of items like the right brackets, cables, and mics necessary for a full install.

lowband radio

I just had a friend sell a LOWBAND 35-50 MHZ cdm750 on ebay for me not sure if the guy paid for it or if he changed his mind on it will ask if its been sold.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
VCO out of lock is not a fatal error! That model should operate fine at 39.9mhz as its range is stated as 36-42mhz. Personally I would find a Midland radio shop, talk to them, and determine what needs to be done. It should be fine, but sounds as if it needs just a bit of tweaking. It may have been used previously at say 42 and tweaked there and just needs to be moved.

But it is not dead!!!

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

A simple tuning of the VCO should fix the problem. Not a biggie at all and defiantly no need to replace the radio if it is just the VCO.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

SteveC0625 said:
adampvfd said:
ok. thanks. what do we need to do to fix it?

Honest answer: It will cost more to have it repaired (if a shop will even work on it) that it will to buy a good used programmable two way. There are lots of them for sale these days including high quality portables from Motorola and others.

It it was me, I'd hunt for a bargain on a Motorola CDM or GM300 series. But then I have the software and cables to program them plus lots of items like the right brackets, cables, and mics necessary for a full install.

How do you figure? To re-tune the VCO should not take more than half an hour from the first case screw removal to the last screw being put back in the case. You are going to pay a couple of hundred bucks for a used CDM.

In my experience, Midland radios are very easy to work on and are solid performers.

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
How do you figure? To re-tune the VCO should not take more than half an hour from the first case screw removal to the last screw being put back in the case. You are going to pay a couple of hundred bucks for a used CDM.

In my experience, Midland radios are very easy to work on and are solid performers.

I may be off base here, but the error code alone doesn't guarantee that it only needs a simple VCO tuning. If the radio is older than 10 to 15 years, the OP may not be able to find a shop in his area to even work on it. And given current shop rates, he may spend a lot more than everyone thinks it would cost.

I'm seeing CDM750's selling for around $100-$125 and GM300 series for a bit less.

Status
Not open for further replies.