Yaesu: Military handset for Yaesu (or others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE6ND

Thought I would share this neat handset mod. If you have seen this handset it did have a Y or yoke that was removed as the wiring in either side was insufficient to do a six wire handset to radio mod. I also put in a electret element from a Motorola mic and the audio is very robust with good lows.
It was originally a C-12493/U. The most difficult part was removing the microphone cover and insert, patience is needed and a good sharp knife such as a Klein electrical knife.

My primary purpose was to use this configuration while hiking through the Alberta foothills and mountains in the summer.
The antenna is not the one I use but rather a wideband Harris antenna.

Glenn, VE6ND

Attachments

• Mil Handset.jpg
    Mil Handset.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 916

PACNWDude

From the post title I expected an H-250 handset. Close enough. That is pretty cool. Bet you get some looks hiking around with that handmic though.

The Yaesu FT-817 is a great radio for this type of mod. Looks the part. Thank you for sharing.

VE6ND

Military Mic

Hi
Actually the front cover with the controls just popped up, this lets you access the PTT control without removing the actual external button. The micro switch that controls PTT is the top one inside the mic. Once you remove the cable just above the Y then you can use the wires from the cable, six in total. There is room also to run another wire for the microphone voltage from inside the mic to the removable cover.

Glenn, VE6ND

VE6ND

C-12493/U

This an internal view of the mic, wiring is pretty basic and as I said the hardest part was removing the plastic mouth piece but if you use a hot air gun it would be better to loosen the glue/epoxy.
I didn't show the electronics to avoid any issues that may be proprietary in relation to components. You may be able to find which wire on the four pin harness powers the light etc. I did...

Glenn, VE6ND

Attachments

• Mil hand mic.JPG
    Mil hand mic.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 781

prcguy

Your mic looks like a SINCGARS remote control mic. If you were to use a common H-250 military handset, its got a 600ohm dynamic mic that is a great match to your Yaesu and you don't have to do any internal wiring. You can also use the Easy RJ-45 connectors that have holes to pull the wires through before crimping, these are great for non network use like mics, etc.
prcguy

VE6ND

Mil Mic

Hi
No, the H-250/U is only 150 ohms and is wired as make/break sequence so wiring it to any radio requires a change out of the element. I had a few of them over the years and wiring it for the older FT-690RII's enabled me to use the earpiece as well. The 1000 ohm impedance for the ear was ok, not ideal but it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.