Milwaukee Police Department Open Sky Patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

WIscannerguy24

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone I hope everyone has safe and prosperous holiday season!!! Anyway I was driving about yesterday listening to the Milwaukee County Trunked Radio System and I heard on Milwaukee County Sheriffs Office (MCSO) Ch 2 or Patrol 2 which ever it is called a Milwaukee Police Department (MPD) Open Sky patch. They were calling the sheriffs department to let them know they were en route to Froedert Hospital with a gunshot victim, I have never heard this before. I am wondering if its a change in policy due to the shooting at Childrens Hospital last month?

Tim

Feed Provider
Greetings All...

It's not really a 'patch' per say. It's basically MPD calling the Sheriff on "Sheriff's F2", which is considered a County-Wide/Mutual Aid channel.

They have used it for years, not that they always answer when other agencies call MPD on there (Of course, neither does the sheriff).

Tim

goaheadover

Banned
Why didn't the city of Milwaukee just wait and go to the county p25 network? does anyone know? it would have seemed to have made more sense... also I've heard of quality issues with their opensky network.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Why didn't the city of Milwaukee just wait and go to the county p25 network? does anyone know? it would have seemed to have made more sense... also I've heard of quality issues with their opensky network.

If I had one guess...Politics.

CrabbyMilton

Well, it looks like nobody is on there yet anyway so why should Milwaukee? That system has been in test mode for about 4 years.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Opensky is so secure, even their own users can't hear it :)

Tim

Feed Provider
Greetings All...

The Milwaukee County P25 Test site has been gone for about a year now (Contrary to what the database states). I'm guessing this is because of the up and coming OASIS system with Waukesha County.

The City of Milwaukee and Milwaukee County do not play nice together. The City of Milwaukee was invited to use the Analog system a number of years ago but they strongly declined. Not sure if the debacle that is OpenSky and the pressures of interoperability will change their mind and eventually use OASIS (At least in part).

In my opinion, the county is a bit more messed up than the city (But not by much).

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.