Minerva MARCS Site (Carroll County)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=33274

I have the Minerva MARCS site programmed on my GRE PSR600. I get a full 5 bars of signal 100% of the time. Some transmissions are crystal clear and some are garbled cutting in and out. This is a stand-alone site and not part of the simulcast. This scanner has done well on other MARCS sites in the past. Any idea what the issue may be?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=33274

I have the Minerva MARCS site programmed on my GRE PSR600. I get a full 5 bars of signal 100% of the time. Some transmissions are crystal clear and some are garbled cutting in and out. This is a stand-alone site and not part of the simulcast. This scanner has done well on other MARCS sites in the past. Any idea what the issue may be?

I have no idea. I'm surprised you get it so well. It's weak sauce. It's only intended to cover a small area. I get much better signal on the Stark Simulcast compared to the Minerva site from here at the bottom of Carrollton.

Maybe your situation is one where one or more of the frequencies on Minerva are being obliterated by some strong local 800 mhz signals in your area.

mike

docsmachine

I just started logging it with proscan today on my bcd536 i have had 146 hits. i'm in east rochester and using a 12 element yagi. i also have a trx1 with remtronix and its hit and miss. the minerva site has been this bad since the start. on my sds100 i get about 60 dbm on minerva and canton site with yagi. So i would say you need a yagi. the kensington site blasts in here. i'm about dead middle betwwen minerva and kensington. and a world of difference between them in sdr + dsd+ airspy.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
I have no idea. I'm surprised you get it so well. It's weak sauce. It's only intended to cover a small area. I get much better signal on the Stark Simulcast compared to the Minerva site from here at the bottom of Carrollton.
mike

I want to be able to reliably hear Sandy Creek Fire. They only affiliate with the Stark Simulcast when one of their EMS units transports to a Canton or Alliance hospital. I don't know exactly what the timeout time is on an affiliation but I do know I miss traffic for them when their radios are not affiliating with Stark Simulcast.

docsmachine

When they come my direction they switch to the kensington site also. So i would say its less then 5 miles from tower they switch sites. So I would say your answer is going to be antenna and height. I also have a st-2 and it works good on both sites but not as good as yagi. maybe a dipole so you dont have directional issues. i hear them from tone out to where ever they go.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
I may try moving Minerva to my SDS100 or 200 to see if reception improves. I was really hoping that Minerva being a non-simulcast site that I may get away with an older scanner.

docsmachine

well i hate to say but i think its the site, and not scanner or your antenna. i just switched to the remtronix on my sds100 and the dbm doubles to like 100 dbm. On the stark simulcast.. Compared to 50-60dbm on yagi
What kind of antenna are you using know?
I have a 150 450 700 850 yagis st-2, 150-450 diploe antennas
I have way to many scanners ws-1065 trx-1 2- trx-2 bcd536hp sds100 and going to order a sds200

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
What kind of antenna are you using know?

On the PSR600, I have a Radio Shack 800Mhz mounted near the window with a short 15' cable run to the scanner. I get a full 5 bars of signal 100% of the time.

The SDS200's get 5 bars of signal from Stark Simulcast with only their factory back-of-set antennas.

The SDS100 has a Comet CH-32 stubby and gets 5 bars on Stark Simulcast.

I have an attic-mounted scantenna connected to my BC785D for what is left of conventional channels in the area.

docsmachine

If your scantenna is a st-2 i would try it on that first.
If it works use a multicoupler but for the price a antenna would be cheaper
Or possibly mount a omni directional or yagi outside.
I have no problem here receiving stark either.
But i just tried the sds100 stock antenna and i loose stark, with the remtronix 800 i can receive stark so that might be a starting pont.
You are probably receiving east canton site where as i'm probably receiving paris site on stark marcs
whats your rssi on the sds's

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
I just put Minerva on the SDS100 with the Remtronix 700/800 and sat it in the window. Every Minerva site transmission is crystal clear while the PSR600 is choppy. I am at a loss as to why but it is what it is. This same PSR600 receives the Stark Simulcast great which it should have issues with. Strange.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I just put Minerva on the SDS100 with the Remtronix 700/800 and sat it in the window. Every Minerva site transmission is crystal clear while the PSR600 is choppy. I am at a loss as to why but it is what it is. This same PSR600 receives the Stark Simulcast great which it should have issues with. Strange.

Personally, my take is that it's likely related to interference from local high power 800 mhz transmitters that the SDS handles better than the PSR. All of my digital PSRs/PROs (500/600/800, 197/106) had the appearance of being much more sensitive than any Uniden (at the time that i owned said scanners), but they suffered horribly when in a strong signal environment.

I'm betting your SDS (especially with the different filter options available) simply is more capable of copying farther away systems on 800 mhz in the presence of strong local 800 mhz signals, whereas the PSR just doesn't have what it takes to deal with that.

xusmarine1979

Personally, my take is that it's likely related to interference from local high power 800 mhz transmitters that the SDS handles better than the PSR. All of my digital PSRs/PROs (500/600/800, 197/106) had the appearance of being much more sensitive than any Uniden (at the time that i owned said scanners), but they suffered horribly when in a strong signal environment.

I'm betting your SDS (especially with the different filter options available) simply is more capable of copying farther away systems on 800 mhz in the presence of strong local 800 mhz signals, whereas the PSR just doesn't have what it takes to deal with that.

I do agree with you, Mike. I've driven around a bit through Stark County, mainly between Louisville and the Strip, taking 62 & 77 (usually going to work/home) and have at times let both my Radio Shack Pro 106 and my SDS100 scan Summit County's MARCS site and even Stark's. In some cases the 106 seems to be a tad more sensitive, but honestly I'd rather be able to filter the noise. These days with everything wireless the noise is growing. And with better filtering, the 100 certainly has outperformed any radio I've owned in the past.

For Summit's site, I pretty much don't hear the CC or even see much activity until I'm well into the county on the 106. But with the 100 I can hear Summit pretty much from Louisville all the way to 77 unless I'm right by a cell tower. Even the errors are low. And I've never been able to do that before with any other radio.

As for Stark, I can sit at 62& California Ave. and monitor Stark's site with both radios. On the 106, it's completely choppy and garbled, I can barely get a single word out of it. But the 100 performs absolutely perfectly and the error rate stays at zero. The reason this is usually a tough spot is that there is a cell tower about 3,000 feet directly to the west of the intersection

For any of my past radios, I pretty much had to use the attenuation when I left the Louisville area. But the 100 performs perfectly on MARCS, I certainly have no complaints.

One thing that I am experimenting with is the IFX. This is my first Uniden, so I honestly don't know much about the feature other than what I've read. I first experimented by just doing a search on an inactive voice channel on Stark County's site, and opened up the squelch. I parked my 106 on the closest Stark voice channel to that one, and waited for a transmission. on the 106. As soon as there was one, there was a bit of a disturbance on the 100. So I applied the IFX and waited for another transmission on the 106. But this time there was no disturbance.

So then I sat near a cell tower, but picked a spot that i could still hear Summit's control channel while in search mode. I payed close attention to the digital error rates as I flipped the IFX on and off and with it on it did seem to decode much better.

But once back at the house there isn't much noise. With the IFX on Summit's CC it seems to attenuate the signal a bit. At least a weak signal. I'm not sure. Has anyone else experimented with this and have any results to share? I don't think IFX will completely get rid of all the noise and whatnot, but it certainly did seem to help when near cell towers or have bleedover from adjacent channels. Anyway, I've been messing with it and just thought I'd share.

I still want to try with a single site, and maybe soon I'll try the same with the Minerva site and see how it does. I also want to drive through some counties just to see how both radios perform on various sites and locations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.