• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.
  • Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Minitor4 finding freq band

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

I hope this question does not make me look super stupid, but I am learning more and more from Radio Reference and everyone on here, as I go. I was told that my min 4 I just bought was low band. The info on the stickers on the the back of the unit, are faded and I can't tell. Is there any info on the circuit board that will tell me? I truly love this website, and even more then that, is everyone on here. Its great to see how everyone comes together to help each other out. I just wish I knew of site years ago. Thanks..George

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
I hope this question does not make me look super stupid, but I am learning more and more from Radio Reference and everyone on here, as I go. I was told that my min 4 I just bought was low band. The info on the stickers on the the back of the unit, are faded and I can't tell. Is there any info on the circuit board that will tell me? I truly love this website, and even more then that, is everyone on here. Its great to see how everyone comes together to help each other out. I just wish I knew of site years ago. Thanks..George
The only way to know for sure is to determine the model number of the unit. If the stickers are badly faded, there may be one inside the radio. Open it super carefully if you decide to do that. I generally don't suggest that people take these pagers apart, especially when I can't judge your knowledge or experience level. Your second choice is to have someone with a programming cradle read the radio. That will result in full info about the radio displayed in the codeplug. That's the safer route because no one will be opening the radio.

You'll have to find someone to do that for you locally, I would guess. A hobby person would be better, but if necessary, take it to a Motorola shop. They'll charge you for the service, but, if you know your programming info, they can program it right there and then.

Added: If you have a bar code reader on your smart phone, you may be able to read the barcode on the back if it is legible. That will give you the model number and serial number. ScanLife on my iPhone won't read a Minitor III, but the bar code is dinged up a bit.

Last edited:

SCPD

I downloaded scan life app and tried it out, but had no luck with it, so I wanted to THANK YOU for you trying to help me out and the barcode idea was a great idea, but it didn't work. The only reason I wanted to verify my min 4 was low band, was it only has a 14 day return policy, when I bought on ebay, the seller had a 100% pos feedback, with 100's of radio and pager sales over the past few years. I am planning on getting it programmed in the next 2-3 wks, I just don't have the money for it right now(I am permanently disabled w/alot of rods, bolts, clips and hardware in my back and face, from a major injury, that's why money is super tight when on disability pay). So I trying to find hobbies to do, that are related to what I liked or use to do. Ok, sorry I got off topic, So THANKS AGIAN, for helping me, hope to chat with you again. GeorgeGeorge

Status
Not open for further replies.