Mission Hospital Air Traffic Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJIComm1

I was wondering how does other HELO's like CMC MedCenter Air or Other Medical Helo's that come to Mission how do they communication with dispatcher at the hospitals. I never hear the other Helo on the Mission Viper Channels

WA4MJF

I should think that they would communicate with their own dispatchers for missions, not another hospital.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Mission Helo Radio Traffic

Since MAMA2 (One of Mission's 2 helos) is based here in Franklin, I am able to monitor Mission's helo radio traffic a good bit. Often, I also hear them talk to helos from UnivTenn, AirEvac, Duke, Greenville (SC) and others. I've also seen inside MAMA2's helo and if other medical helos are like MAMA1 and MAMA2, they have a radio unit installed than contains most of the radio frequencies from the area they operate in. (Sorry but I can't remember the name of the RF unit they use). When other med helos come in to Mission, they can - and do - talk to MISSION MEDCOM on VIPER but can also talk on the HEAR channel.

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
No "Air Traffic Control" involved. The choppers may coordinate among themselves on various frequencies, and a dispatcher of some sort may be involved in coordinating who's on the pad.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Mission Helo Radio Traffic

No "Air Traffic Control" involved. The choppers may coordinate among themselves on various frequencies, and a dispatcher of some sort may be involved in coordinating who's on the pad.

K5BBC is correct - there is no "air traffic control". Any coordination that is required to keep helos safe (apart) is done either by MAMA MEDCOM (TG 51584) on VIPER or by the helos themselves talking to each other, usually on 123.025, 123.050, or MAMA MEDCOM on VIPER. An example of this occurred yesterday when both MAMA1 and MAMA2 were airborne on missions near each other. MAMA MEDCOM advised one to stay on the north side of I-40 and the other to stay on the south side of the interstate. They were also advised to be in touch with each other on 123.025.

On another note, Mission has previously announced that MAMA2's base would be moved from Angel Medical Center in Franklin due to the fact that the base there is below the "fog line" which prohibits MAMA2 from flying about 40% of the time. So far, no new site has been announced,

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
Here in the Charlotte area I can confirm 123.050 is used frequently among Medical, Law Enforcement, News, and Business helicopters. Mostly position reports to each other as they move about the area.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
Should have typed 123.025

Here in the Charlotte area I can confirm 123.050 is used frequently among Medical, Law Enforcement, News, and Business helicopters. Mostly position reports to each other as they move about the area.

Correct frequently used helo frequency is 123.025

Status
Not open for further replies.