Misuse of Radio- 154.100

Status
Not open for further replies.

18-3box

okay, i live in glen burnie. and on 154.100 (bwi dsptch), i am hearing different alert tones coming in loud and clear and then a voice comes on semi-incoherent, and they say something and at the end the guy says "blah blah blah, blah blah blah." does anyone know what this is and why they are saying strange things like that on that channel?

there are alert tones that go off on that channel that are other than bwi's alert tone for calls. it was a man's voice also.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you are listening without PL, I suspect you might be hearing Caroline county, which uses the same frequency. Weather related enhancements are not out of the question here. Does it sound like public safety or a business? 73s Mike

[edit] Almost sounds like you're hearing some intermod from a voice pager - your description is awful close.

Last edited:

18-3box

it was completely loud and clear, but then when the guy talks, it is very clear almost as if it was being dispatched from a mile away. but it was the volume that was not clear. it sounded like a call was being dispatched because the tone went off and right after that a guy came on and said that. either way, it is still very awkward beings the fact that someone would say that on the radio.

and it sounds like public safety. most likely fire being it had alert tones and everything. it has only happened like 3 times today, but the first and second time there was no voice after the alert went off.

it could be caroline county. it was just that there was no one dispatching anything.

18-3box

NOTE: i heard it again around 0900 this morning and an alert tone went off and then they guy said, "Medical Units blah blah blah, blah blah blah."

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Could be radio maintenance on the system testing QCII or whatever and they don't actually have a call to dispatch, and most likely it's setting people's pagers off and opening the PA at the station.

You should try to record it.

18-3box

NeFire242 said:
Could be radio maintenance on the system testing QCII or whatever and they don't actually have a call to dispatch, and most likely it's setting people's pagers off and opening the PA at the station.

You should try to record it.

it only happens every once in a while; on average of once every 3-4 hours

but that could and most likely be the case. that makes a lot of sense. i just figured it seemed kinda strange to hear that on a channel like that.

i'll try and record it on my computer.

Joseph11

I don't think Radio Repair would say "blah blah blah, blah blah blah". It could be an unauthorized person trying to tone out an FD or EMS squad. I'd love to hear a recording of this.

TinEar

18-3box, do you have the capability to get the PL tone for that activity? If so, it would sure help to identify the transmitting agency - whether it's Caroline County, BWI or someone entirely different.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
haha Our Radio maintenance will say Blah blah blah. That or the test count, gets old after awhile. Have to have fun on the job.

Yeah I'd love to hear a recording. Could help in the future if this turns into a pending court case, etc. Good Luck.

tolley

Premium Subscriber
Wasn't it mentioned a while back that Cecil County would also be using 154.100 for dispatch? This may have been testing for their new system.

18-3box

I heard it yesterday morning around 10AM- the alert tone went off twice in one minute. there was no one that was on the radio afterwards. i haven't heard it since. i managed to catch someone saying "Now wake-up P.A. System." so i am assuming this was a test of some sort. i caught that on my cell phone voice recorder.

i am still listening to this- i'll let everyone know what else i hear.

18-3box

tolley said:
Wasn't it mentioned a while back that Cecil County would also be using 154.100 for dispatch? This may have been testing for their new system.

it is way too clear to be coming all the way from Cecil County- it sounds so close. i won't hear anything else until tuesday beings the fact that i am not in glen burnie until that time.

i did not record the blahs, sadly. but i managed to get a guy saying "Now wake-up P.A. System" and that was the last voice i heard on that frequency other than BWI.

ctrabs74

Cecil County dispatch freq confirmed...

tolley said:

Confirmed this morning after reading about this in another forum. The new Cecil County Fire/EMS dispatch frequency is 155.5275 (unk p/l at this time).

TinEar

ctrabs74 said:
Confirmed this morning after reading about this in another forum. The new Cecil County Fire/EMS dispatch frequency is 155.5275 (unk p/l at this time).

The 155.5275 freq is coming in very well here in Glen Burnie. It's as loud as anything local. They are not using a PL or DPL at this time. Hearing both Dispatch and the vehicles.

ctrabs74

TinEar said:
The 155.5275 freq is coming in very well here in Glen Burnie. It's as loud as anything local. They are not using a PL or DPL at this time. Hearing both Dispatch and the vehicles.

Heard the same thing, only, I'm in West Chester, Pa. picking this freq up. I must be in the outer fringes of their signal, but it's interesting to hear that it's a dispatch and ops channel (that has to be a simulcast of the Fire/EMS TG off Cecil's new TRS).

If you ever have a chance, you may want to plug in 160.185. That's the Chester County, Pa. fire/EMS paging freq. I've personally heard it as far north as the Lehigh Valley, but I've had some people report it's signal as far north as the NYC area.

TinEar

Yes indeed. I hear your folks down here very well. I not only have 160.185 in my scan rotation but 159.6 and 159.735 also. Occasionally, the 159.6 freq doesn't come in too well but the other two are always fairly good, even in the middle of the day.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah, 160.185 comes in very strongly here - even on my beat up old Regency TS2 with an attic ground plane I scrounged together from spare parts. I have a feeling they're running much more power than they really need (you think?) hi 73s Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.