Status
Not open for further replies.

MadSpleen85

I have been lurking around this forum for a while, finally signed up earlier this year. I live in Johnson County, Kansas but I have grandparents in Livingston County, Missouri, more specifically Chillicothe. A couple years ago for Christmas I bought my grandmother a new scanner, I believe it is a Radio Shack Pro-2018. Just something basic, 200 channels and easy to use. I programmed it for Chillicothe PD, FD and Livingston County Sheriff's Office. She listens to whenever she is near it, even if she is clear across the house she has it on turned up loud enough for her to hear it where she is.

Well my question is, with all the P25 talk I am curious how long this scanner is going to continue to work for her or if Livingston County is planning on switching to a P25 compatable system. I know here in Johnson County, KS my analog scanners will be renedered useless come this December. I know very little about the whole P25 system, I have researched for my county but I am having trouble finding anything for Livingston County, MO. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Unless the State of MO gets a digital system going, it will probably be a while (2-4 years) before you start seeing any P-25 stuff up in North Central MO. Unlike the KC area, everyone out in the boonies is pretty much on conventional VHF, so interop isn't much of an issue in that area. Your grandmother should get some good use out of the Pro-2018.

clayman

I grew up east of Chillicothe and still have family and farm up there (live in KC area now). I wouldn't worry about Livingston Co going digital anytime in the foreseeable future. The analog freqs they have serves them OK, and all the other agencies are conventional analog, so unless the government comes up with some stimulus money they can't figure out how to spend, she should be good. FYI, I gave my mother (in Linn Co MO) an older basic scanner, too. She has enjoyed it, and probably will for years to come.

Clayton

Status
Not open for further replies.