Mobile Android Phone Over the Air Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiowave15

Not sure this is the right place to share this (shack/mobile?) EMT monitoring option with any Android phone or tablet. The software is available for free (basic version) on Google Play. There is a paid version that has more features for about $10.

I did a little demo video that just shows the FM Broadcast band but the tv tuner card covers all through the police/fire/EMT frequencies.

I could see this being used in a dash/mobile installation. As of now I don't think the software can be a true scanner but perhaps a software update could offer that.

Anyhow, I thought was pretty cool.

Dan

YouTube Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dvmUfBIPGI

Attachments

• sdrtouch004.jpg
    sdrtouch004.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,411
Last edited:

Ray-D-O

I cannot find the app on Google Play. Which dongle are you using and where did you find the usb adapter? Thanks for any input.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Do a search for SDR in google play.. And the USB is an On-The-Go USB adapter.. I do the same thing with my Android tablet and DVB-T stick.

Make sure the OTG adapter charges the android device as well as powering the USB stick.. Mine doesn't, and the tablet chews through the battery pretty quick doing SDR.

Last edited:

Kasmus

This app drains your battery like a ham does with a glass of beer. Also, if you have the USB-OTG plugged in, you can't charge your phone.

radiowave15

Yes - the app can only follow one frequency at the current time, hopefully that could change with subsequent builds.

Regarding the battery drain, it does drink. An easy solution is a charging USB splitter, or in the case of using the app on a tablet the tablet can have an external power plugged in - that's what I have for the car tablet installation.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.