mobile antenna as base antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX5812

I have a mobile triband antenna but since the antenna will work on 220 I would like to install it on top of the house. Is there anything extra I need to do for this to work properly?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, ground plane, unless it's a "no ground plane" antenna. However, no ground plane antennas work better with one.

If it's an NMO base antenna, you can buy NMO base kits that will include the mount and the ground radials.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
For a 1/2 wave or 5/8 wave that has a matching coil is it neccesary to droop the radials or trim them to a specific frequency as you would a 1/4 wave?

mrweather

Technically a 1/2 wave doesn't need radials. Otherwise, I'd cut them a little long (maybe 20") and droop them.

W5lz

Drooping radicals typically increases the input impedance, which isn't always a bad idea.
Any end fed antenna requires it's "other half" to work. That other half can be provided in a number of ways. A good ground, meaning radial, not a ground rod, is probably the most common on HF. Lots more possibilities with VHF/YHF.
Another way is to add another "half" to that antenna. Meaning it isn't end fed anymore so isn't an end fed antenna. @#$%!

Status
Not open for further replies.