Mobile/Base version of SDS100 wish list

Status
Not open for further replies.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
I can read/write a 1mb favorite list in 150 milliseconds via a USB card reader. The SD card isn't the bottleneck that makes my 536 take 130 seconds to boot.

Are you seriously comparing a handheld scanner to a computer with 60 MBps (even higher with USB 3.0) throughput? 🤔

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I don't see how GPS is a deal breaker. What is the drawback if it has GPS capability?

In a mobile installation, I travel about a 150 mile radius of the state, and my 996P2 will unlock and lockout the different areas as I travel within a pre programmed range as I get closer and farther in respect to them. I would not get another scanner that did not have this capability, as there is no way I would even try to turn on and off each system manually as I travel.

Thats the reason I didn't get a TRX-2, because it doesn't have GPS capability.

Voyager

Since the SDS100 has it, I believe it's safe to say the mobile version will have it.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
In a mobile installation, I travel about a 150 mile radius of the state, and my 996P2 will unlock and lockout the different areas as I travel within a pre programmed range as I get closer and farther in respect to them. I would not get another scanner that did not have this capability, as there is no way I would even try to turn on and off each system manually as I travel.

Thats the reason I didn't get a TRX-2, because it doesn't have GPS capability.

Believe he was referring to the "built-in" GPS request some have...i.e. not external like it is now on the x36 but built-in to the scanner. Handy but would add cost.

Voyager

The add-on card could be considered "built-in".

But WHY add GPS to a unit that could well be used stationary? It would be a waste.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Here are my items:

- Display similar to the SDS100 (i.e. color customizations, etc)

- Removable faceplate/remote head.

- "One cord solution" GPS, either as an add-on accessory or included in the box. Uniden did it with the Bearcat 885, they should be able to figure this out for the SDSxxx.

While the "one cord" GPS is high on my wish list, I have to say that the removable faceplate/remote head is a go/no go item for me. I simply cannot mount a mobile scanner in my vehicle. I've "made do" with a handheld.

Are you seriously comparing a handheld scanner to a computer with 60 MBps (even higher with USB 3.0) throughput? 🤔

No, I'm comparing a $200 laptop computer that runs off a battery to a $500-$600 scanner that is hardwired to power. A usb2 chipset doesn't have that high of a TDP or cost per part vs a USB 1 chipset. 150ms is USB2.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If a removable front plate is impractical from engineering view, perhaps some type of wired connection to iPad/iPhone, etc., for remote head purposes would be great.

I think a > 1 MB Favorites List may be problematic from a backwards capability standpoint, assuming this would b x36 Sentinel "programmed". If that > 1 MB FL is created for the new scanner, it wouldn't work for the x36. So unless the x36's are upgraded some way, you are still doomed to multiple FLs for that "huge large" system.

I like the notion, if there is one, where x36 and later model scanners use the same Favorites Lists. A lot easier on the brain. (Uniden has for the past several mobile models, kept the cases the same size to make life easier for mounting.)

atech

Premium Subscriber
LARGE color display / better & louder audio amp with the bigger speaker / N - connector rear panel (stronger connector so you can go mobile or base without connector problems).. Mobile extension for the face plate using ALL controls etc..

Voyager

N - connector rear panel (stronger connector so you can go mobile or base without connector problems)..

The N connector is not well suited for scanners. For one thing, please post a link to a telescopic antenna that will fit on the back of the unit that comes with an N connector.

Like the portable, you can always use an adapter if your feedline has an N connector. And for larger feedlines (that are better suited to N connectors) you should use a flexible jumper anyway.

In the era of confined space one thing you don't want is a more beefy connector to have to make room for.

Ubbe

Multiple antenna inputs would be nice, but that's a luxury item.

Not a luxury. I would like all mobil/base scanners to have three antenna inputs that can be configured to be mixed to different frond-end filters. We always struggle to get a suitable antenna configuration to work at both VHF, UHF and high-UHF. It would be so much easier if we could use seperate antennas for different bands and don't have to get special expensive external splitter filters and/or strange multiband antennas when it could be done directly in the scanners for just a couple of extra dollars.

My Icom IC-R2500 have dual diversity antenna input and works fantastic and wish there was s tripple diversity version.

/Ubbe

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
No, I'm comparing a $200 laptop computer that runs off a battery to a $500-$600 scanner that is hardwired to power. A usb2 chipset doesn't have that high of a TDP or cost per part vs a USB 1 chipset. 150ms is USB2.

Well it's not the USB slowing down the scanner - it's not the sum of its parts. You're looking at re-engineering the wheel and swelling the cost of each scanner into four figures. Netbooks, notebooks, laptops, tablets, etc., are made in the millions, and quite a few share architecture. This nowhere near the case for scanners. They have to strie a compromise between performance and affordability (and that's not just the cost of parts and manufacturing), and they seem to have done a pretty good job. Could Uniden build a scanner that loads instantly? Probably. But then you'd complain that it cost more than your doublewide.

CQ

Not a luxury. I would like all mobil/base scanners to have three antenna inputs that can be configured to be mixed to different frond-end filters. We always struggle to get a suitable antenna configuration to work at both VHF, UHF and high-UHF. It would be so much easier if we could use seperate antennas for different bands and don't have to get special expensive external splitter filters and/or strange multiband antennas when it could be done directly in the scanners for just a couple of extra dollars.

My Icom IC-R2500 have dual diversity antenna input and works fantastic and wish there was s tripple diversity version.

/Ubbe

Although this is 90s era gear, and comparable to a small mobile/desktop scanner, it has three antenna inputs for that price range. I still have it in service with three different antennas.

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/widerxvr/r100rear.html

CQ

The N connector is not well suited for scanners. For one thing, please post a link to a telescopic antenna that will fit on the back of the unit that comes with an N connector.

Like the portable, you can always use an adapter if your feedline has an N connector. And for larger feedlines (that are better suited to N connectors) you should use a flexible jumper anyway.

In the era of confined space one thing you don't want is a more beefy connector to have to make room for.

If I remember correctly, my R100 came with an N connector telescopic antenna in the box.

A quick search came up with these:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/GSM...-cell-phone-signal-booster-2/32507587825.html
https://electro-metrics.com/product/antenna-vertical-whip-em-6898-right-angle-n-connector/

For mobile applications, LMR-400 UltraFlex may be workable but better suited for the shack. Below are examples of loss of about 20 ft. for a possible mobile installation.

1.2 GHz
LMR-200 UltraFlex - 3.1 dB
LMR-240 UltraFlex - 2.4 dB
LMR-400 UltraFlex - 1.3 dB

800 MHz
LMR-200 UltraFlex - 2.5 dB
LMR-240 UltraFlex - 1.9 dB
LMR-400 UltraFlex - 1 dB

400 MHz
LMR-200 UltraFlex - 1.8 dB
LMR-240 UltraFlex - 1.4 dB
LMR-400 UltraFlex - .7 dB

Last edited:

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
MDC 1200 Decoding

A all inclusive upgrade price. IE for $200.00 you get all upgrades (NXDN, PROVOICE, DMR, Etc.) as things are added they are included (early in incentive) for life.
Plug-in priority receivers for (Fire tone out, WX, etc.) These would be an internal plug in RX board.
Built in GPS w/ the ability to use a External GPS if required.
Dust Cover for SD card slot and any other unused openings
Ability to do a partial LCN search, (IE lets say you have 10 freqs, You let it run for 8 hours it gets 4 or 5, it updates the now known LCNs. without losing the ones found)
As others have said better speaker output.
Programming via Wifi
Blue-tooth
Internal WIfi, IE no dongle
Easier save on the fly CC when used in a mobile environment.

Great resistance to dust and shock/shaking.

Last edited:

TomTN

1) Removable/Remote Head preferably with CAT5 style cable(s)

2) WiFi similar to 536 for ProScan / other remote programs

3) Ability to program with Sentinel via WiFi.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
When did this become "design your dream scanner"?

I think we should have a Shark tank format meeting, with the forum users being the sharks, and UPMan pitching us his ideas. :-D

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.