Mobile/Base version of SDS100 wish list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that the specs for thr portable version have been digested by everybody, what features do you wish the unannounced mobile version of this scanner will have? I'll go first:

For mobile use case:
Removable faceplate so it can be mounted in modern vehicles. This is by far my most anticipated feature.
Headlight voltage wire detection or light sensor for auto dimming screen
GPS puck like the 536

For home use case:
USB dongle/webserver that streams/controls the scanner and does not require a full computer (a web page is better then an app as we learned with the 536)
Maybe built in support to stream audio to radio reference/ broadcastify

For both:
Faster boot times with large favorite lists

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
Home Patrol 3, so you can use a windshield/dash/vent/cupholder mount, lose the 5v and step up to 12v so nobody needs to use a noisy USB adapter (and you can leave a hardwired pigtail tucked in when you take the scanner out of the car), and a bigger speaker and more powerful amp.

Voyager

Headlight sensor? That's overkill. A simple wire connected to the parking lights will work. (same as 536)

GPS puck like the 536

Odds are high it will be exactly like the 536.

For both:

SD cards only load so fast. The time is limited by the size of your FLs. Since the 100 uses an SD card, I fully expect that to carry over, so the card speed will be the limiting factor.

I will add:

Ignition control wire.

Larger display than the 536.

Break the 1 MB FL limit. Some of my FLs run into this limit (1 LARGE trunked system).

Beefier voltage control to avoid the reboot issue the 536 has.

"Blow you out of your seat" audio. (even more loud than the 536)

And of course all the features of the SDS100.

Multiple antenna inputs would be nice, but that's a luxury item.

Now that the specs for thr portable version have been digested by everybody, what features do you wish the unannounced mobile version of this scanner will have? I'll go first:

For mobile use case:
Removable faceplate so it can be mounted in modern vehicles. This is by far my most anticipated feature.
GPS puck like the 536

For home use case:
USB dongle/webserver that streams/controls the scanner and does not require a full computer (a web page is better then an app as we learned with the 536)

For both:

i would see how the portable does 1st before wishing for a mobile scanner just saying lol

SD cards only load so fast. The time is limited by the size of your FLs. Since the 100 uses an SD card, I fully expect that to carry over, so the card speed will be the limiting factor.

I will add:

Ignition control wire.

Larger display than the 536.

Break the 1 MB FL limit. Some of my FLs run into this limit (1 LARGE trunked system).

Beefier voltage control to avoid the reboot issue the 536 has.

"Blow you out of your seat" audio. (even more loud than the 536)

And of course all the features of the SDS100.

Multiple antenna inputs would be nice, but that's a luxury item.

I can read/write a 1mb favorite list in 150 milliseconds via a USB card reader. The SD card isn't the bottleneck that makes my 536 take 130 seconds to boot.

Better voltage control would be awesome also.

I'd love larger favorites lists, but they didn't do it on the SDS100 so it's probably unlikely to be added to the mobile version.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
GPS is a dealbreaker for me.

I don't care about the speaker, as long as there is a speaker out jack, I always run a quality external speaker anyway.

I would hope the programming would be compatible so we could copy and paste or somehow dump what we have in, say, the 996P2 into it. I use Butel, and that would be great.

Voyager

Odds are very high it will use Sentinel like the SDS100.

I run an external speaker, too. But it would be so nice not to have to do that.

I don't see how GPS is a deal breaker. What is the drawback if it has GPS capability?

Voyager

Bug-free? ROFLMAO!

Even the x36 is still getting updates.

That's like waiting for the perfect scanner. If that is your criteria you will never own a scanner.

Fact is that Uniden has already stated some digital modes may not be in the initial release of the SDS100. Of course, I'm sure they will be available by the time the mobile comes out (assuming it's not right behind the 100).

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Bug-free? ROFLMAO!

Even the x36 is still getting updates.

That's like waiting for the perfect scanner. If that is your criteria you will never own a scanner.

Fact is that Uniden has already stated some digital modes may not be in the initial release of the SDS100. Of course, I'm sure they will be available by the time the mobile comes out (assuming it's not right behind the 100).

Let’s be real here for a minute... I want all parts of the scanner to work.

No clock issues, no display issues, no locking up on boot when it’s warm out. I don’t care if it only does analog and P25 I just want Uniden to get their $%!# together with production. The 536 is by far the best scanner to date but it is ridiculous the amount of issues you have to put up with.

Voyager

True. It did have more than it's share of issues. I would hope Uniden learned from that.

Although I have units that are years ald with no clock issue, no display issue, and I've never had one lock up on boot. That last one sounds like a bad SD card.

That said, I guess the SD card is the most likely issue that might remain. Of course, that is not a Uniden-only issue. Use good cards!

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Not an SD card issue. Both of mine do it, and only when it’s hot outside (and therefore inside the car).

Voyager

Mine is often parked in an area with direct sunlight on the 536 (and card). Never saw that.

Maybe a corrupted file that is doing it?

Is yours wired direct? Maybe it's an ignition spike?

CanesFan95

Give it about 2-3 years by the time the radio(s) come out, all the digital mode upgrades are out, the reviews and videos come out, the bugs are identified, and all the repair campaigns are over.

CQ

For mobile use case:
GPS puck like the 536

For home use case:

For both:

If they do a removable face plate then that should have built-in GPS which shouldn't affect the body. External cabling should only be power, remote head and optional speaker. Speaker on 536 is fine as I never go past 15 and usually about half that...you guys should check your hearing.

My x36s boot in seconds...the same scan data on a TRX boots in minutes...you choose. 2GB on--board usable memory should do for many which should prove faster and option to use micro-SD.

4" color touch screen for the 500 and keeping lots of buttons for most used buttons.

Voyager

I would rather they didn't force GPS on everyone which will add nearly $100 to the price. Optional GPS works fine. Even if it's a plug-in board (which would be sweet), as long as it's optional.

You can do that now by pruning the national database, and deleting Canada if you don't use it.

The national DB isn't what takes so long. I have that turned off anyway.

It comes down to me having several custom favorites lists that are nearly 1MB each.

I have a DMR list with some of the the DMR-MARC callsign list in it. There isn't a good way to predict who will key up, so pruning the callsign list isn't practical. The entire callsign list won't fit in a single favorite list, so I already only have the callsigns from the western US in it.

I also have a few large systems programmed in, and a list of all the ham repeaters in my state dumped from repeater book.

I currently choose the long load times so that I don't have to mess around with menus while mobile. I'd love it if the hardware could handle this better.

Voyager

Do you have the scan selection disabled for rarely used FLs? I usually only load half a dozen or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.