• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mobile Install Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help deciding what kind of battery to use for my Truck. I am going to be running:

4 Axixtech Hawk II LED Dash Lights (Amber/Amber)
2 Unity Vehicle Spotlights (Black)
1 Whelen competitor series strobe system (60 Watt)
2 Motorola Radios:1 UHF/1 VHF (Taking suggestions)
2 Scanners: 1 Digital-Trunking/1 Conventional (Any recommendations on the best scanners to use in vehicles ?)
1 Laptop (Dell latitude D800)
1 GPS Unit (Magellan Roadmate)
1 Airhorn (Grover 1510)

What kind of batteries last the longest and is there any way to connect everything to a system where when the truck is running it runs of the power of the truck, not just sucking up all the power from the battery ?

Also in your opinion where is the best place to mount power supply's ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

n8emr

I think we need more info. What is your "TRUCK" going to be used for. Is all of this for public safety responding to a scene, work truck or wannabe wanker vehicle?

Why you need 4 head dash lights? and 2 spot lights. The Hakw's only draw 1/2 amp so little load.
Spot depending on what they are could draw but how often will you use the spot when the vehicle is off?
How many heads on the stobe system. A single 60watt stobe is going to take close to 5 amps to fire depending on the strobe freq and number of heads that number will average down a bit. I would wonder why 2 radio's most dept are on 1 or the other. But figure 5-8amps average draw on each radio with minimal transmit time. Again why 2 scanners? A scanner that can do digital can also do conventional.
IF your going to all the expense why put an old outdated computer in the vehicle? I would also recommend a rugged or at least business class computer for your vehicle. The d800 is a low end home use laptop and most likely will not take the beating from a vehicle. GPS draw is very minimal. The airhorn is going to have a 5-8 amp draw during use, but how often are you going to be using it when the engine is not running?

Overall you dont have much of a load. If you want to do it right add a second battery and split the load. Put a high dual output alternator on and your will be more than fine. Battery type, really dont think it matters if you have two, if you use just one then an optima deep cycle

I need help deciding what kind of battery to use for my Truck. I am going to be running:

4 Axixtech Hawk II LED Dash Lights (Amber/Amber)
2 Unity Vehicle Spotlights (Black)
1 Whelen competitor series strobe system (60 Watt)
2 Motorola Radios:1 UHF/1 VHF (Taking suggestions)
2 Scanners: 1 Digital-Trunking/1 Conventional (Any recommendations on the best scanners to use in vehicles ?)
1 Laptop (Dell latitude D800)
1 GPS Unit (Magellan Roadmate)
1 Airhorn (Grover 1510)

What kind of batteries last the longest and is there any way to connect everything to a system where when the truck is running it runs of the power of the truck, not just sucking up all the power from the battery ?

Also in your opinion where is the best place to mount power supply's ?

Thanks in advance.

4 LED Hawk Lights-2 in rear/2 in front
2 radios for different departments
4 Heads on the strobe system
I want 2 scanners so I can monitor 2 set channels at 1 time (I.E. on a red flag day I can set my Digital scanner to "Verdugo" and my conventional for "LACoFD" )
I will look into a newer computer....I haven't bought it yet bought its just one I like.
Airhorn shouldn't be used that often...

Status
Not open for further replies.