• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mobile radio suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don57

Premium Subscriber
I am looking to install a mobile cb in my 2016 Honda CRV. As with 99% of the newer cars , there is next to nothing as far as room goes. I’ve been looking for small compact units and so far the smallest I came across is the Radioddity CB27. My questions are :
Is this a decent radio ?
Is this the smallest radio on the market ?
Has anyone installed one in a newer CRV and can give any suggestions ?
Thanks , any help is appreciated.

ForestRunner98

917 SoCal
Hi! Are you looking to use SSB or just AM/FM?

What kind of antenna are you thinking about? Don’t know about the Radioddity but President makes nice radios. Some small and some with SSB, AM/FM.

Don57

Premium Subscriber
First I want to find a cb that will fit in the car , as far as an antennaI’m gonna go with some sort of mag mount. Sideband is not important plus from what I’ve seen they’re all larger radios. I need as small as possible.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
First I want to find a cb that will fit in the car , as far as an antennaI’m gonna go with some sort of mag mount. Sideband is not important plus from what I’ve seen they’re all larger radios. I need as small as possible.

The antenna will make a bigger difference in performance than the radio will.
Put more effort and budget into the antenna install and you'll have a good setup. Just picking up a random mag mount antenna usually leads to frustration.

Lots of good small radios out there. President seems to be well respected, but never owned one. I haven't been on CB in many years. I did have a Uniden CMX-560, and it was a very small radio, everything in the mic, and the radio guts could be mounted anywhere. Not the best radio I ever owned, but with a proper antenna, it worked well.
doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Don57

Premium Subscriber
Put more effort and budget into the antenna install and you'll have a good setup. Just picking up a random mag mount antenna usually leads to frustration.

Lots of good small radios out there. President seems to be well respected, but never owned one. I haven't been on CB in many years. I did have a Uniden CMX-560, and it was a very small radio, everything in the mic, and the radio guts could be mounted anywhere. Not the best radio I ever owned, but with a proper antenna, it worked well.
I didn’t mean to come across sounding like I was going to buy any mag mount. Reading back what I wrote it does sound that way. I will spend the money and get a good one. I just meant it will be a mag mount because I don’t want to drill any holes in the car and I felt finding a very small radio would take more work in finding.

Don57

Premium Subscriber

A radio like this looks good as does the President Bill. I also found a uniden cmx 760 that looks good but seems to be out of production. There is a cb store about a mile from my house that I stopped by a couple of days ago. He caters to truckers and has all big mobile radios and base stations in stock. I will ask him if he can get any of these.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I didn’t mean to come across sounding like I was going to buy any mag mount. Reading back what I wrote it does sound that way. I will spend the money and get a good one. I just meant it will be a mag mount because I don’t want to drill any holes in the car and I felt finding a very small radio would take more work in finding.

No problem. Sometimes people will focus on the radio and leave the antenna as an afterthought. That usually results in poor performance. Sounds like you learned that in your research.

One additional item:
Clean power is important. Avoid the temptation to plug your new CB directly into the cigarette lighter. Best source of power is to run the positive power lead for the radio direct to the positive battery terminal. Run the negative lead to a body ground as close to the radio as you can. Other power sources just become a noise source, and you'll never be able to fix it until you run the power correctly.

Don57

Premium Subscriber
No problem. Sometimes people will focus on the radio and leave the antenna as an afterthought. That usually results in poor performance. Sounds like you learned that in your research.

One additional item:
Clean power is important. Avoid the temptation to plug your new CB directly into the cigarette lighter. Best source of power is to run the positive power lead for the radio direct to the positive battery terminal. Run the negative lead to a body ground as close to the radio as you can. Other power sources just become a noise source, and you'll never be able to fix it until you run the power correctly.
Thanks for the advice because my plan was to plug it into the cigarette lighter. Now I know not to.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks for the advice because my plan was to plug it into the cigarette lighter. Now I know not to.

It can work as a very temporary solution, like on a rental car, but not what you'd want for a good setup in your own vehicle. It really pays to do it right the first time.

Clean power and a good antenna will make a big difference. So many of the issues people post about here are due to poor antennas, poor installation, or taking shortcuts.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
PRESIDENT Randy another option worth considering. Can easily be removed from car when not driving (fully portable).

Performance “about” on par with a U880 given good systems install in vehicle.

Some imagination could take this one a long ways in multi-role use.

arudlang

I will second the President Bill as a great compact radio. It's a little more money than the Radioddity but I think it's worth it. Cheaper and FAR easier to use WHILE DRIVING than the President Randy.

The Randy is a great radio but its no safer to fiddle with driving down the road than your cell phone. If you want to set it on one channel and just listen or talk on that one channel it's just OK, but I've played that game with my Midland 75-822 and it is not popular with my family having both a power wire and an antenna wire ran to this large handheld unit, sometimes an AUX cable besides into the car radio because those little speakers on handhelds are so weak and quiet... a 2-in-1 radio sounds good on paper, in reality its a mess of wires and very poor, borderline dangerous usability while simultaneously trying to control your 4000 pounds of rolling steel going down the road at 75 MPH. I don't recommend.

As someone who has a President Bill in a (much older, first gen) Honda CRV, with a mag mount antenna, I can tell you I am pretty happy with it although my plan is to move it to my wife's car and go permanent antenna install.

The main advantages I'd cite over the comparably small radioddity are these:
1. The P. Bill has Noise Blanker and Hi-Cut (both selectable), and you can infer it also has a permanently enabled (not selectable) ANL filter as well. This means it would be likely to be a better sounding radio/nicer to listen to, less static and harshness (I don't own a radiodditty to compare, though).
2. The P. Bill has NOAA weather station listening, while the radioddity does not.
3. The P. Bill has hidden menus that will allow you to programmatically adjust the RF power and modulation slightly, meaning you can bump it up a bit to output about double it's stock wattage (controversial topic I will get lit up for shortly, no doubt) OR you can turn it down to more cleanly drive a small amplifier that won't otherwise take the stock wattage the radio puts out (another topic of controversy).
4. The P. Bill uses a more standardized mic connector that you can use with other microphones, such as a power mic or the Uniden wireless mic which I am a big fan of. The radiodditty mic uses a proprietary connector so you can only use the mic it comes with.

Good things about the radiodditty:
1. Cheaper.
2. ASQ is adjustable on it vs one setting on the P. Bill.
3. RF Gain is adjustable on it, while the P. Bill does not have adjustable gain.
On that last one, you can make up for that slightly by putting one of those PROCOMM NR400 noise clipper boxes between it and the antenna. They run $16-$28 and they really work (Robot or human?) I use one in my CRV with my P. Bill and it is like a godsend for cutting down static, I've used it with local contacts out to about 6-7 miles with great success.

Other tidbits; I pretty much always run my output of my P. Bill into my car's stereo via the AUX connector. The speaker is just so weak on the P. Bill. You mileage may vary. I would not expect the speaker to be any better on a Radiodditty or any handheld unit, just because of the small size. Physically bigger radios have better speakers usually. The NR400 noise clipper box actually helps with the speaker, I can turn it up much farther without static making it sound like hell. It is tolerable to listen to vs without the noise clipper box and like I said I still hear skip just fine and make local 6-7 mile contacts that are clear enough to carry on a conversation. Note that using that noise clipper box usually means not using ASQ other than for very short-range vehicle to vehicle chat.

The P. Bill radio is super, super easy to use. I chose this one for my wife's car (it's just been temporarily installed in my car) because it's so stinkin simple I know she will be able to use it comfortably even though her interest in using the radio is very, very slight. Just turn it on, basically. Leave the squelch in the ASQ setting. Go to the channel you want, and use it. One button to flip to the weather if you want to hear that quick. Small, unobtrusive design. Bonus USB port (handy to recharge the uniden wireless mic with, if you go that route).

I'd say the P. Bill is the best sub-compact radio you can buy for a car with few mounting options, and the simplest to use.

President's "Wyoming UP" antenna pairs with it pretty nicely, if you are determined to go mag-mount. Mag mount is fine for real temporary use but you run into issues with dust being used as grit to cut a fine circle in your paint if you use it long-term, and if you don't put it up then you are not getting anything for your time/investment. You might want to look into a hood or trunk lip mount instead, or get creative if you have cross bars maybe a bracket onto one of those (but then you loose garage door clearance vs hood/trunk bracket mount)

cDwVp5H.jpg

image-2.jpeg

The antenna is the most important part of sending and receiving but a cheap radio just doesn't deal with static/interference as well as some others that have ANL, NB, Hi-Cut, variable gain, etc and that makes listening a bit hard in the long-run.

I'd suggest that if you don't do a permanent high quality antenna install of some sort you will ultimately never use your radio. Maybe you'll throw the mag mount up for a road trip once in a while, the first 3 times anyways, then you will eventually never care to do it. CB frequencies too quiet for most people's taste these days. I do like using it to listen to the weather and to talk with friends/family on multi-car road trips, especially in places where cell signal drops off.

Don57

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to everyone for you help. I truly appreciate it. After reading all your replies and some research I’ve decided on the President Bill. I will be ordering it before the end of the month. Does anyone have any input on the President New York antenna ? I’ve watched some videos and a few people highly recommend it.

arudlang

I'm sure the New York is a good antenna for what it is, but my impression is that it's made more for asthetics than for function. Radio antennas don't work good at an angle AFAIK, but neither do short mag mounts anyways so .. If it's just for talking to cars within a half mile should be fine. The Wyoming UP looks good on our Jeep Cherokee, in my opinion, it's about 2 feet high and stands straight up, strong magnet, not much for range. I'm trading it out for a permanent tailgate bracket mount though before the scratch ring can no longer be buffed and waxed out..

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Go PRESIDENT TEXAS antenna, or go home!. (The Silver Seven)

Taller is always better (5’ I consider a minimum). Larsen NMO-27 I’d choose over the New Yawk. (Both are still too short if long-range is important).

The antenna mount (RF BOND) is crucial. More so than the radio or any other gear. NMO Mount is best all-around choice for most folks GP use. (See BREEDLOVE MOUNTS).

Larsen or Laird your best route if low-key and high quality matter over last bit of performance.

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
I will second the President Bill as a great compact radio. It's a little more money than the Radioddity but I think it's worth it. Cheaper and FAR easier to use WHILE DRIVING than the President Randy.

The Randy is a great radio but its no safer to fiddle with driving down the road than your cell phone. If you want to set it on one channel and just listen or talk on that one channel it's just OK, but I've played that game with my Midland 75-822 and it is not popular with my family having both a power wire and an antenna wire ran to this large handheld unit, sometimes an AUX cable besides into the car radio because those little speakers on handhelds are so weak and quiet... a 2-in-1 radio sounds good on paper, in reality its a mess of wires and very poor, borderline dangerous usability while simultaneously trying to control your 4000 pounds of rolling steel going down the road at 75 MPH. I don't recommend.

As someone who has a President Bill in a (much older, first gen) Honda CRV, with a mag mount antenna, I can tell you I am pretty happy with it although my plan is to move it to my wife's car and go permanent antenna install.

1. The P. Bill has Noise Blanker and Hi-Cut (both selectable), and you can infer it also has a permanently enabled (not selectable) ANL filter as well. This means it would be likely to be a better sounding radio/nicer to listen to, less static and harshness (I don't own a radiodditty to compare, though).
2. The P. Bill has NOAA weather station listening, while the radioddity does not.
3. The P. Bill has hidden menus that will allow you to programmatically adjust the RF power and modulation slightly, meaning you can bump it up a bit to output about double it's stock wattage (controversial topic I will get lit up for shortly, no doubt) OR you can turn it down to more cleanly drive a small amplifier that won't otherwise take the stock wattage the radio puts out (another topic of controversy).
4. The P. Bill uses a more standardized mic connector that you can use with other microphones, such as a power mic or the Uniden wireless mic which I am a big fan of. The radiodditty mic uses a proprietary connector so you can only use the mic it comes with.

1. Cheaper.
3. RF Gain is adjustable on it, while the P. Bill does not have adjustable gain.
On that last one, you can make up for that slightly by putting one of those PROCOMM NR400 noise clipper boxes between it and the antenna. They run $16-$28 and they really work (Robot or human?) I use one in my CRV with my P. Bill and it is like a godsend for cutting down static, I've used it with local contacts out to about 6-7 miles with great success.

Other tidbits; I pretty much always run my output of my P. Bill into my car's stereo via the AUX connector. The speaker is just so weak on the P. Bill. You mileage may vary. I would not expect the speaker to be any better on a Radiodditty or any handheld unit, just because of the small size. Physically bigger radios have better speakers usually. The NR400 noise clipper box actually helps with the speaker, I can turn it up much farther without static making it sound like hell. It is tolerable to listen to vs without the noise clipper box and like I said I still hear skip just fine and make local 6-7 mile contacts that are clear enough to carry on a conversation. Note that using that noise clipper box usually means not using ASQ other than for very short-range vehicle to vehicle chat.

The P. Bill radio is super, super easy to use. I chose this one for my wife's car (it's just been temporarily installed in my car) because it's so stinkin simple I know she will be able to use it comfortably even though her interest in using the radio is very, very slight. Just turn it on, basically. Leave the squelch in the ASQ setting. Go to the channel you want, and use it. One button to flip to the weather if you want to hear that quick. Small, unobtrusive design. Bonus USB port (handy to recharge the uniden wireless mic with, if you go that route).

I'd say the P. Bill is the best sub-compact radio you can buy for a car with few mounting options, and the simplest to use.

President's "Wyoming UP" antenna pairs with it pretty nicely, if you are determined to go mag-mount. Mag mount is fine for real temporary use but you run into issues with dust being used as grit to cut a fine circle in your paint if you use it long-term, and if you don't put it up then you are not getting anything for your time/investment. You might want to look into a hood or trunk lip mount instead, or get creative if you have cross bars maybe a bracket onto one of those (but then you loose garage door clearance vs hood/trunk bracket mount)

cDwVp5H.jpg

image-2.jpeg

The antenna is the most important part of sending and receiving but a cheap radio just doesn't deal with static/interference as well as some others that have ANL, NB, Hi-Cut, variable gain, etc and that makes listening a bit hard in the long-run.

I'd suggest that if you don't do a permanent high quality antenna install of some sort you will ultimately never use your radio. Maybe you'll throw the mag mount up for a road trip once in a while, the first 3 times anyways, then you will eventually never care to do it. CB frequencies too quiet for most people's taste these days. I do like using it to listen to the weather and to talk with friends/family on multi-car road trips, especially in places where cell signal drops off.

Excellent write-up, thanks!

In defense of the Randy I simply removed my “big radio” and plugged in the handheld cobbling a temp attach to mount. No dangling anything. External speaker. External mic.

It is a HIGHLY versatile piece of gear.

I agree on BIll or similar otherwise.

Don57

Premium Subscriber

1. Cheaper.

cDwVp5H.jpg

image-2.jpeg

Thanks for this reply , it helped my decision tremendously. The picture of the antenna mount in front of the windshield , is that using an already existing bolt or did you drill a hole ?
Thanks , Don

arudlang

Thanks for this reply , it helped my decision tremendously. The picture of the antenna mount in front of the windshield , is that using an already existing bolt or did you drill a hole ?
Thanks , Don

Those were just examples I pulled from a 10-second google search for things like "cb antenna hatch mount" and "cb antenna hood mount", I haven't done the one on our Cherokee yet (but I did buy a bracket, specifically this one here)

You won't get away from drilling at least one hole usually, unless you are very lucky and can re-use an existing bolt hole somewhere, lot of Jeep Wrangler guys play that game when they are shy about doing real mods to their newer rigs.

My mother has a 2016 CRV so if I get over there this week to visit maybe I will remember to look around under her car's hood and tailgate, see if any easy opportunities present themselves.

For our Cherokee we are definitely doing the hatch mount. Hood would be fine but aesthetics do matter slightly to us (mostly her) and the hatch mount was ruled more fashionable/cooler looking.. I'm planning on mounting the bracket and then testing a couple different antennas, I even have a no-ground-plane one to try just to see if it's better in that location than a traditional. If a traditional antenna works better then the NGP will just go on our golf cart at some point.

Since I haven't even finished my own projects I'm not in the best spot to give much more advice than that but if you search around you will see lots of creative ways people have managed to get antennas onto things, sometimes without major drilling or compromise (there is almost always some compromise, is what I have learned from my research).

Status
Not open for further replies.