• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mobile Repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

crwjoe

Looking for ideas on setting up a UHF mobile repeater. This will be for a business bands. I was looking at using the baofeng mobiles or a cost effective repeater. I don't know where to begin or what hardware I will need to complete this project for my non profit group. I would like it to be 12v.

Thanks

Joe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

lmrtek

Most Baofengs aren't FCC approved for business band and the ones that are wouldn't work as a repeater due to poor receivers and spurious transmitters.
Repeater frequencies have to be coordinated and licensed and licensing a portable repeater is nearly impossible in most areas due to interference with established licenses.
You would be far better off contacting a local two way radio company
about using one of their existing repeater systems.

crwjoe

These frequencies have been applied for by a frequency coordinator. We are just waiting to get the FCC's approval. The coordinator set these for state wide.

Any help with ideas for a mobile repeater would be grateful!

Thanks,

Joe

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Frequencies aside setting up an effective repeater isn't a quick and easy task. If the first thing you go to is using baofengs because they'll be cheap then setting up a repeater probably isn't for you. Its not just a couple radios and some cables. A lot goes into the proper setup and that is something that is probably best handled by a reputable 2 way shop. Not to be discouraging but I would hate to see you waste a lot of time and money just to build something that isn't satisfactory to your needs.

crwjoe

It doesn't have to be boafeng radios. I get what you mean. I could use anything, that is good used equipment. That's all, I am open to any suggestions.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Well what exactly are your goals? How much distance are you trying to cover? How many channels do you need? How often will this setup be used and what's the budget?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Much easier to set up a proper Pyramid mobile repeater.
And you can find them used for pretty cheap.

Issue with the Cheap Chinese Radios is that the filtering is poor to non-existent, and that will be a requirement for any sort of mobile repeater setup.

I understand wanting to save money and go cheap, but it gets to a point where you need to do it right if you want it to work. Cutting corners is going to lead to disappointment.

There are two ways of doing this:
In band and out of band.

Out of band is where the mobile repeater transmits on a separate band from the primary mobile radio. That's an ideal setup. Easier to install.

In band is where the mobile repeater transmits on the same frequency as the primary mobile radio. If you go this route, you have to have frequencies that are well separated and you still need to be looking at proper filters, or the radios can overload the front ends of the receivers and it's not going to work worth beans.

Using an out-of-band setup might be something you can handle if you've got some experience.
Don't attempt an in-band solution unless you've got some experience under your belt as well as a service monitor or tracking spectrum analyzer. Also, your mobile radio needs to allow for the interface.

Lots of Pyramid SVR-200's on e-Bay, some in the $20.00 range.

Looking at your post again, I might be off track. When I read "mobile repeater", I'm guessing you are talking about an extender from a mobile radio.

If you are talking about a portable repeater setup, you are still in the same boat. Trying to use CCR's with little to no filtering, lack of FCC certification, as well as not having the proper interfaces on the radios will be a headache.
You can do this with a couple of good mobile radios (not the cheap Chinese stuff), a mobile duplexer and a controller.
But again, unless you have the tools, experience and test equipment to set this up, you really are better finding a used repeater setup and getting it programmed/tuned to your needs. This won't be cheap, but you can find simple repeaters on e-Bay for reasonable prices. Getting a setup with a couple of Motorola CDM's would be a good start. Look at the Motorola CDR700's. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-C...832881?hash=item2ccfdb8bb1:g:Z80AAOSweUFakeIz
Shop around for a better price, but getting a box with all you need and having it set up by a pro would be much easier, especially if you want it to work well.

crwjoe

The budget is about 500 to 700 + or -. As for a mobile repeater, the distance is a about 3 to 5 mile radius again + or -. This is due to the structures and trees in the way. The plan is to place a mobile repeater in the center with a 30 foot antenna to be able to communicate with everyone.

k8zgw

Spend the money on the repeater

Depending on what you REALLY NEED, get a good repeater first.
look at this, I Have heard nothing but good reports about this..
$1400 programed on your frequency and ready to go.

https://www.bridgecomsystems.com/collections/commercial-repeaters/products
bcr-40du?variant=23459609095

How portable does your set up need to be ?
This will be the antenna factor. We have a 20 foot pole that
can be set up in 10 minutes or so with our Tram 420 antenna
which gives coverage of about 6 or 7 miles to our CCR handhelds.

IF you look around, there are other Chinese radios that are just a
little more then the Baofeng 888 and are at least twice as good.

my personal favorite is a little 4 watt radio I think is built in the same factory as Kenwood
but with another name, that can be had for around $40 each

Don

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I "inherited" a system consisting of 3 of those BridgeCom UHF repeaters, and they are tolerable. Not outstanding repeaters, but for the price, they work.
It's basically a box with a power supply, two mobile radios, a mobile duplexer (if you order it that way) and a control board. They will run off 12 volts DC or 110/220 AC. The sites I took over have them turned down to 9 watts and running off a solar panel and a couple of batteries.

Bridgecom will set them up/tune the duplexer for you.

Avoid the temptation to crank them up to full power and run them that way. RF power won't solve all coverage issues. Run the power levels that are permitted on your license.

If this thing is going to be dragged around, set up outside, etc. make sure you budget in a proper case for it. There are companies that make 19" rack mount cases where the front and rear come off, which is good for cooling.

With repeaters, it's all about the antennas. If you have $500 - $700 to spend, I'd strongly recommend putting at least 50% of your budget (or more) into the antenna system. That'll make a bigger impact on your coverage than anything else.

Don't skimp on the coaxial cable, either. Use something like 1/2" Heliax SuperFlex. Do not use the LMR type cables. They have a dissimilar outer braid that when it gets wet, it'll cause no end of issues.

Honestly, I think your budget is too low if you want to do new equipment. Even with decent quality used stuff, you are going to have a struggle to bring a reliable system in that cheap without putting a lot of effort into the do-it-yourself side.

crwjoe

Depending on what you REALLY NEED, get a good repeater first.
look at this, I Have heard nothing but good reports about this..
$1400 programed on your frequency and ready to go.

https://www.bridgecomsystems.com/collections/commercial-repeaters/products
bcr-40du?variant=23459609095

How portable does your set up need to be ?
This will be the antenna factor. We have a 20 foot pole that
can be set up in 10 minutes or so with our Tram 420 antenna
which gives coverage of about 6 or 7 miles to our CCR handhelds.

IF you look around, there are other Chinese radios that are just a
little more then the Baofeng 888 and are at least twice as good.

my personal favorite is a little 4 watt radio I think is built in the same factory as Kenwood
but with another name, that can be had for around $40 each

Don
Thank you Sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.