Mobile Scanner Preselector/RFI Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
First off, I know hunting down mobile RFI is a starting down a dubious road. I am trying to eliminate as much as I can.

The problem: In mine and others' cars when we plug in anything into the cigarette lighter (phone charger, GPS, you name it) I get varying degrees of desense, hanging squelch and interference on the railroad band (160.215-161.565 mHz). When those peripherals are unplugged, the problem goes away, but sometimes that is not an option. Is there some kind of preselector or filter for scanners, amateur or commercial gear that will filter out that interference? What bothers me the most is the significant desense I get on my mobile radio when I simply plug in a phone charger or Garmin GPS.

Last edited:

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
When something is transmit on the same freq you can do nothing only shield the cable.

cmdrwill

A lot of the power "cig lighter" cables have noisy switching circuits that spew out RF. NO preselector or RFI filter on your radio will get rid on 'on channel' interference.

You will have to find cig lighter power devices that meet higher standards for RF noise.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
or choke them off with ferrite beads or wrap around chokes. Likely as not you're getting some slop from your car electronics. Keep in mind that plugging into the cigarette lighter is both unfiltered and unregulated.

Mike

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
I bought a noise canceling plug from power werx (haven't tried it yet). I'll report back. Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.