Mobile (Vehicle) Scanning Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlj31986

Premium Subscriber
Hello all. I'm pretty new to this and am looking for suggestions. I would like to add a mobile scanner to my vehicle. I would like to be able to scan Clarke and Oconee Counties. Clarke is on an 800 mhz trunked radio system. Oconee is currently on an older VHF system but will soon be moving to a 700 mhz area-wide system. I would like to keep it as low profile as possible. Would it be possible to use a smaller phantom antenna? Also, any suggestions on a Uniden scanner model for this application would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
If you are going Uniden, go with either the 996XT (mobile) or 396XT (portable). As long as you are within say about 10 miles of the repeaters, you could go with a quarter wave UHF antenna and pick them both up fine. For my 396XT I connect it to a 5/8 gain 800 antenna and can still pick up the Cherokee County channels in Sandy Springs with no problem!

jlj31986

Premium Subscriber
Any ideas on the best place (best price) to buy a 996XT? I'm still so new to this, can you post a link of an example of a quarter wave UHF antenna? I want the lowest profile possible...thanks for you time and help!

N8IAA

Any ideas on the best place (best price) to buy a 996XT? I'm still so new to this, can you post a link of an example of a quarter wave UHF antenna? I want the lowest profile possible...thanks for you time and help!

Easiest way for us to help you, is to go to your User CP, and at least put your county in:) To PM someone, click on their user name and click on send a PM. If you are in the metro ATL area, the best place to go is Ham Radio Outlet in Doraville, GA. It's on Buford Hwy. They sell Unidens and GRE's. My preference for 700/800MHz systems is a PSR-600. I use the RS branded model: Pro-197. Google Antennex Phantom for a really neat low profile antenna. I personally use a Larsen VHF 1/4~ cut to 440MHz. It makes it a 1/2~ antenna on 800. Told you could find more answers here:D

Larry

i use to have the radio shack pro-2096 in my car and used a motorola 700\800 mhz antenna and it worked great on digital trunking systems and uhf\vhf. i did sell the scanner and now getting the psr-GRE800 pocket scanner and hope the mobile type comes out soon. i miss my mobile scanner

jlj31986

Premium Subscriber
So...here's what I have so far. Again, please feel free to throw your comments or suggestions in as I'm still a newbie and not very knowledgeable with any of this yet.

- Uniden BCD996XT has been ordered.
- I was thinking of adding a remote head (BC-RH96). I'm kinda picky on where they install it and I think this may give us a few more options.
- Antenex Phantom. Again, one of the most important things to me on this is low profile. At the most, I will be 15-20 miles away from either county and have been told this antenna should work for what I need. (TRAB7603 - Antenex Phantom Low Profile 760-870MHz 3dB-MEG Gain Antenna (Black/NMO Mount) with Patented Field Diversity)
- External Speaker. Not sure which kind. I have been told this is a must for mobile/vehicle applications. (Something simliar to this: Bearcatwarehouse Uniden ESP-12 Speaker). Again, open to suggestions.

To refresh everyone, this is what I'm planning to scan:
- Athens-Clarke Public Safety (Police, Fire). Motorola Smartnet 800 mhz system
- Oconee County Public Safety (Sheriff, Fire). Older VHF system right now, moving to an area-wide 700 mhz trunked simulcast system in the near future.

Look forward to any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks!

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I am not sure how the phantom antenna will work for your VHF system, but since you are not far away, it's at least worth a try. Hopefully your results will be good.

All of the external speakers I have used in vehicles have done a good job for me. They really help out driving down the road. I originally wanted the one you selected in my vehicle... just wouldn't fit. I bought a smaller one and it does good, and I expect yours will do better.

Did you consider the 396xt since you are also considering the remote head? Just thinking it would give you more options if you wanted to take the unit inside somewhere and maybe give you different mounting options since you could hide the portable easier than the mobile.

Good luck!

jlj31986

Premium Subscriber
Thanks tglendye. I'm not sure how well the phantom will work for VHF either but I'm hoping it will be better than just relying on a portable in the vehicle. I plan on going with an "NMO" mount for the antenna and as I understand it I can always switch out the antenna later if the phantom isn't working out. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I plan on putting the external speaker in the passenger floorboard behind the glovebox. Hope this will work.

Haven't really given much tought to the 396xt. I already have a portable. Just wanted the remote head to open up my installation options a bit.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
...I plan on going with an "NMO" mount for the antenna and as I understand it I can always switch out the antenna later if the phantom isn't working out. Correct me if I'm wrong...QUOTE]

You're absolutely right:lol:

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
...I plan on going with an "NMO" mount for the antenna and as I understand it I can always switch out the antenna later if the phantom isn't working out. Correct me if I'm wrong...

You're absolutely right :lol:

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Low Profile

jlj31986:

My mobile setup uses 3 Antenex Phantoms - VHF,UHF,800 - and they connect to (in order) a Kenwood TK-7150 (VHF), Kenwood TK-8150 (UHF) and a BC396XT/RH96 remote head (800). I probably could get a bit more range on VHF by switching to a traditional antenna and when I need o, I do. Your low profile antennas will serve you well for what you want to monitor. Remember, the Phantom 800 and UHF antennas are 3db gain. Good luck monitoring. You'll always find good, quick help on this forum.

One other thing - I often come to Athens and with my 800 Antenex Phantom I usually start receiving Athens and the Univ of Georgia systems around Monroe. That's pretty darn good reception.

Enjoy your new hobby. Some of us have been doing this since the dang Pilgrims landed (They were on low-band) :)

Mike
Metrofire31
WQIT636

jlj31986

Premium Subscriber
Metrofire31: Thank you for your respone. Hope I have the same performance out of my setup - I will let you know. I live off Hwy 78 near 316 so if you're getting that reception I should be set. Do you scan Oconee? How is the reception on it?

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
When I'm in the Athens vicinity, I do scan Oconee Fire and SO but I monitor them on my Kenwood TK-7150 VHF (receive only). It's a 50W radio plus the audio is much better than my scanner.

roadranger

What are you driving, J?

You could split off, with the proper motorola adapters, your FM stereo antenna. That would be low profile.

Attachments

• 103.JPG
    103.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

jlj31986

Premium Subscriber
Everything is installed and works perfectly...picks up Athens-Clarke 800 TRS from 30+ miles away, UGAPD 800 TRS and Oconee SO/Fire VHF from 20+ miles away so I'm very happy with the performance.

Just to refresh everyone I have a Uniden BCD996XT (under driver seat), Remote Head RH-96 (on dash), a Maxrad MLPV800 low-profile antenna and a Motorola extension speaker (mounted in passenger floorboard). Everything is hard-wired and turns off with ignition. I will add pictures soon.

Thanks for the help!

SCPD

QRT
Sweet.... :) We got another one hooked! It's so good to have someone else join the hobby and let it suck the funds right out of their wallet.... LOL. Seriously, you'll enjoy the hobby and it can be very addicting. Ever thought about getting your Ham radio license....??? )TEE HEE)

jlj31986

Premium Subscriber
Yep - I'm hooked! :) My wallet has taken all the hits it can lately so my set-up is going to have to work for a while. lol. Ham license...hmm...maybe one day...

Status
Not open for further replies.