Modding Ham Radio Equpiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I have a question. don't mean to open up a can of worms here. I am curios and looking for answers here. I know with some folks modding ham equipment is like a big no no. So my questions is why do the manufactures make it so you can? I know years ago when they outlawed listening to portable/cell phone freqs and the scanners were made in such a way you couldn't. So if it illegal to mod ham equipment so they say (never seen anything officially, saying it was) why don't that add that black epoxy stuff they put on scanners?

prcguy

Its not illegal to mod ham equipment to transmit out of band. It is illegal to transmit out of the ham bands for which the radio is type accepted for even if you have a license for those frequencies.
prcguy

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

Last edited:

Nap

I guess it's about people buying internationally. For example, here in Canada there are no legal restrictions on the analog cellular band reception (and we don't have any analog cell phones left around either). Buying an US version of the radio and "unlocking" the bands that are legal to receive in Canada will produce a radio that is legal to operate in Canada. So not all "mods" are doing illegal things.

LtDoc

Speaking only for the amateur service.
It's not illegal to modify amateur equipment to be capable of operating out of band. It IS illegal to operate that equipment out of band. Being a member of MARS means that you do have permission to operate out of the amateur bands in specific instances. Big difference in being able to and actually doing so.
- 'Doc

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Unless there is an immediate danger to your life and you transmit a distress signal.

That is the only reason why my FT60 and my FT8800 is modified. If I want to talk on murs or GMRS I have commercial radios for that. So I guess if it was that much of a big deal then they wouldn't make the radios so you could modify them.

reedeb

Unless there is an immediate danger to your life and you transmit a distress signal.

The trouble is MOST [but not all] cellphones will work as they have coverage, and almost [but again not all] folks have cellphones. I would understand using it in an area where cell service is unavailable and you couldn't find anyone on a repeater.

Nap

That is the only reason why my FT60 and my FT8800 is modified. If I want to talk on murs or GMRS I have commercial radios for that. So I guess if it was that much of a big deal then they wouldn't make the radios so you could modify them.

I wish they could do them "moddable" in a different way than the current one. Something that you could do easily in an emergency.

E.g. to mod my current radio I would need some elaborate disassembling steps, cutting off a very small diode then assembling the whole thing back. I'm not sure I could do it in an emergency. I'm not willing to do it now either, as the "factory" setup prevents me from accidentally transmitting on the wrong frequency, which is a Good Thing.

K9WG

The trouble is MOST [but not all] cellphones will work as they have coverage, and almost [but again not all] folks have cellphones. I would understand using it in an area where cell service is unavailable and you couldn't find anyone on a repeater.
I fall under the [but not all] catagory. My cell phone stopped working halfway through South Dakota and I didn't have coverage in WY and MT. I did however have my trusty 2-meter... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.