• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Mode break down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highpockets

Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2003
Messages
3,796
Location
New Jersey
I don't know how to make this short, but I'll try. In the database in trunked systems when a talk group is Analog, Digital or encrypted and conventional you have mode, most put fm, apco 25, or whatever, no mention of encryption. And some dispatch is encrypted and the cars digital, some all encrypted. Do you think it would be to much trouble to able to break this up a little in a seperate columns with abbreviations like:

D - Digital
Dispatch encryption, car digital - DE/CD or M - mixed
E - Full encryption

Maybe I'm way out of line here, just a thought.
 

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Joined
Dec 16, 2000
Messages
7,464
Location
Sitting in an airport somewhere
When there's clear and encrypted on a TG it should be noted in the description. Otherwise if the TG is encrypted whether it is digital or analog is irrelevant.

I understand what you're saying but I don't think it will sway Lindsay in to adding an extra column for it when it's not needed for a majority of the systems.
 

Highpockets

Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2003
Messages
3,796
Location
New Jersey
wayne_h said:
When there's clear and encrypted on a TG it should be noted in the description. Otherwise if the TG is encrypted whether it is digital or analog is irrelevant.

I understand what you're saying but I don't think it will sway Lindsay in to adding an extra column for it when it's not needed for a majority of the systems.
I was really leaning towards conventional, no way of knowing just by saying apco 25, why enter it in your scanner if it's marked full enc. And you may or may not want to enter if it's mixed. It was just a thought.

Thank you for your quick reply! :)
 

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
1,058
Every 'encrypted' system can have, and usually does, the occasional unencrypted transmissions, either due to equipment failure, or operator error. So 'Digital and/or Encrypted' is the base assumption on a digital channel. Listing it as 'E' means 'almost always encrypted'. 'D' means 'Usually not encrypted, but digital modulation'.

It's the real world. Absolutes are sorely lacking.
 

Highpockets

Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2003
Messages
3,796
Location
New Jersey
SkipSanders said:
Every 'encrypted' system can have, and usually does, the occasional unencrypted transmissions, either due to equipment failure, or operator error. So 'Digital and/or Encrypted' is the base assumption on a digital channel. Listing it as 'E' means 'almost always encrypted'. 'D' means 'Usually not encrypted, but digital modulation'.

It's the real world. Absolutes are sorely lacking.
But in the db conventional listings, where do you see that? That was my point! Under mode you see apco 25, fm, etc... nothing about E, D...
 

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Joined
Dec 16, 2000
Messages
7,464
Location
Sitting in an airport somewhere
Highpockets said:
I was really leaning towards conventional, no way of knowing just by saying apco 25
I'm sorry, I glanced over that. I do agree that possibly having a flag for encryption, especially to help when downloading via software, is a good idea.

Though I can only think of about two agencies in CA - one federal and the other City of Santa Maria - that are full-time encryption. And I've even heard the federal one with the base in the clear for a few weeks.
 

Highpockets

Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2003
Messages
3,796
Location
New Jersey
wayne_h said:
I'm sorry, I glanced over that. I do agree that possibly having a flag for encryption, especially to help when downloading via software, is a good idea.

Though I can only think of about two agencies in CA - one federal and the other City of Santa Maria - that are full-time encryption. And I've even heard the federal one with the base in the clear for a few weeks.
Thanks, NJ is moving fast in the digital wave, It would also help users who are looking to buy a new scanner to check their area to see if they should spend the money on a new unit, if their pd is full encrypt they may decide not to buy. Oh well, I guess that's all I have on this subject, you guys will decide if it's worth it.
 

Highpockets

Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2003
Messages
3,796
Location
New Jersey
wayne_h said:
I'm sorry, I glanced over that. I do agree that possibly having a flag for encryption, especially to help when downloading via software, is a good idea.

Though I can only think of about two agencies in CA - one federal and the other City of Santa Maria - that are full-time encryption. And I've even heard the federal one with the base in the clear for a few weeks.
Did you ever run this by Lindsay?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top