Mode break down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highpockets

I don't know how to make this short, but I'll try. In the database in trunked systems when a talk group is Analog, Digital or encrypted and conventional you have mode, most put fm, apco 25, or whatever, no mention of encryption. And some dispatch is encrypted and the cars digital, some all encrypted. Do you think it would be to much trouble to able to break this up a little in a seperate columns with abbreviations like:

D - Digital
Dispatch encryption, car digital - DE/CD or M - mixed
E - Full encryption

Maybe I'm way out of line here, just a thought.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
When there's clear and encrypted on a TG it should be noted in the description. Otherwise if the TG is encrypted whether it is digital or analog is irrelevant.

I understand what you're saying but I don't think it will sway Lindsay in to adding an extra column for it when it's not needed for a majority of the systems.

Highpockets

wayne_h said:
When there's clear and encrypted on a TG it should be noted in the description. Otherwise if the TG is encrypted whether it is digital or analog is irrelevant.

I understand what you're saying but I don't think it will sway Lindsay in to adding an extra column for it when it's not needed for a majority of the systems.

I was really leaning towards conventional, no way of knowing just by saying apco 25, why enter it in your scanner if it's marked full enc. And you may or may not want to enter if it's mixed. It was just a thought.

Thank you for your quick reply! :)

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Every 'encrypted' system can have, and usually does, the occasional unencrypted transmissions, either due to equipment failure, or operator error. So 'Digital and/or Encrypted' is the base assumption on a digital channel. Listing it as 'E' means 'almost always encrypted'. 'D' means 'Usually not encrypted, but digital modulation'.

It's the real world. Absolutes are sorely lacking.

Highpockets

SkipSanders said:
Every 'encrypted' system can have, and usually does, the occasional unencrypted transmissions, either due to equipment failure, or operator error. So 'Digital and/or Encrypted' is the base assumption on a digital channel. Listing it as 'E' means 'almost always encrypted'. 'D' means 'Usually not encrypted, but digital modulation'.

It's the real world. Absolutes are sorely lacking.

But in the db conventional listings, where do you see that? That was my point! Under mode you see apco 25, fm, etc... nothing about E, D...

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Highpockets said:
I was really leaning towards conventional, no way of knowing just by saying apco 25
I'm sorry, I glanced over that. I do agree that possibly having a flag for encryption, especially to help when downloading via software, is a good idea.

Though I can only think of about two agencies in CA - one federal and the other City of Santa Maria - that are full-time encryption. And I've even heard the federal one with the base in the clear for a few weeks.

Highpockets

wayne_h said:
I'm sorry, I glanced over that. I do agree that possibly having a flag for encryption, especially to help when downloading via software, is a good idea.

Though I can only think of about two agencies in CA - one federal and the other City of Santa Maria - that are full-time encryption. And I've even heard the federal one with the base in the clear for a few weeks.

Thanks, NJ is moving fast in the digital wave, It would also help users who are looking to buy a new scanner to check their area to see if they should spend the money on a new unit, if their pd is full encrypt they may decide not to buy. Oh well, I guess that's all I have on this subject, you guys will decide if it's worth it.

Highpockets

wayne_h said:

Did you ever run this by Lindsay?

Status
Not open for further replies.