Monitoring/listening from computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwd311

Hi all!

New to scanning here. I have a Uniden BCD325P2, along with a discone antenna set up on my roof (thanks to some folks on this forum). Pardon if I'm asking something that's been answered over and over before...

Here's what I want to accomplish: I'd like to connect the scanner to the computer, so I can listen to audio from the computer (easy?) while also being able to control the scanner from the computer (maybe more difficult).

I'm doing a lot of police and fire listening. When something is thought to last more than a few minutes, the division will switch to an alternate frequency, a "simplex" frequency. Then, some might request/reserve a tac and move there, and simultaneously transmit on the latter two (simplex and tac), especially when they have units from outside the division responding.

I have my systems set up by region, so "locking in" in the division's frequency (let's call it Happyland Dispatch), along with its simplex (let's call it Happyland Simplex) and tac (West Bureau Tac 3) can be time consuming as I would likely have to "lock out" the other frequencies.

Is there software that would let me look at a list of all the frequencies in total, and essentially check off the ones I'd want to listen to?

I'm currently using FreeScan on a virtual Windows 10 (I have a Mac).

I know I'd likely need a DAC - I have a "Schiit" brand "Modi" DAC that I use (attached to an amp) to use my headphones - would something like that work, or what should I be looking at picking up?

Thoughts, advice, pointers greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.