Monitoring NXDN / NEXEDGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAbirdman

I wish Whistler would give us pre-TRX owners the option to buy the NXDN/NEXEDGE upgrades. I cannot afford one of new generation scanners on disability income.

it was noted that the hardware is the limitation so no NXDN for non TRX models

allend

Premium Subscriber
Sweet. If Whistler is releasing NXDN then you know Uniden will release NXDN too probably at the same time.

Then I can add NXDN to my DMR BCD536HP radio and then it will finally completed.

Then I will wait for the new BCD537HP next year and hopefully it will be made bullet proof just like the

BCD996P2 radio with more feature and all the bugs worked out. They better hope it gets built right this time.

Just remember we don't say Happy Holiday's anymore.

Its "Happy Thanksgiving" and "Merry Christmas" again in America

wa4tux

Premium Subscriber
Pretty certain Uniden will be asking for a green "present" in return, buy ya never know. ;)

Love the bottom line though - Happy Thanksgiving right back atcha!

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
It would be great to have the NXDN upgrade as a freebie to us that have bought the other two upgrades. That's 4 scanners for me. I still believe Uniden will not let Whistler get or keep the upper hand with NXDN

allend

Premium Subscriber
It would be great to have the NXDN upgrade as a freebie to us that have bought the other two upgrades. That's 4 scanners for me. I still believe Uniden will not let Whistler get or keep the upper hand with NXDN

Trust me Uniden is not going to leave money on the table. I can almost guarantee a 100 percent that Uniden will charge more money for their NXDN upgrade.

Now probably in the future with another flagship model coming next down the pipe all the upgrades will come with the radio but at for what price will it cost.

Thats the big question we all don't know until the next release

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I can see the day you buy a basic scanner and add the options you want. That way you are not paying for options you do not need. Wait that is what we have now in the x36hp series scanners.

kibler

Feed Provider
Question about NXDN/NEXEDGE Frequencies?

In my area of the state the RR Database shows no local NXDN frequencies! I hope this is due to them not being discovered yet? Anyone have an opinion about that? Thanks

racingfan360

In my area of the state the RR Database shows no local NXDN frequencies! I hope this is due to them not being discovered yet? Anyone have an opinion about that? Thanks
It might help to say where you are?

In my experience, anyone who has been a big customer of Kenwood has stuck with them and gone NXDN. I'm also a big fan of auto racing, and NXDN is very popular in this field. But then I'm in Europe !

kibler

Feed Provider
I am in Arkansas!

After a little more looking, I found a "Digital Search Tool" on line that you can add your County and State and get some information? Thanks

wbswetnam

NXDN isn't nearly as common as DMR in Arkansas, but it is found in places throughout the state, especially in the south of the state. For example, NXDN is used by Union County Sheriff and Lafayette County Sheriff. I want it so I can monitor the Southside Volunteer Fire Department in Independence County.

LesWurk

Thanks Wendy, have updates all applied and just waiting for some activity on a NXDN frequency I want to monitor.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I have updated my TRX-1 for NXDN, and have programmed a large multi site trunked system. It works, but I'm getting a lot of dropping out of decoded transmissions. It will decode, and then silence for a second or two, then good decoding again. The s meter jumps up and down wildly. It must be a signal strength issue. The decoded audio sounds much better than DSD+, however, with DSD+ I get very few signal drop outs.

There is a trunked system setting "Multi-Site Settings" at the bottom left side of the "Trunked System Site Information" page of the EZ Scan software. I am wondering if adjusting the Low Data Decode Threshold setting might help; is this what it is intended for?.

HOLEBILLY

I programmed a NXDN conv freq and it is dropping the transmission to. It is only 8 miles from me, so I should be getting a great signal.

Ubbe

There is a trunked system setting "Multi-Site Settings" at the bottom left side of the "Trunked System Site Information" page of the EZ Scan software. I am wondering if adjusting the Low Data Decode Threshold setting might help; is this what it is intended for?.

No, it is used for selecting the strongest site in the system and only works for P25.

/Ubbe

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
I've just updated my TRX-1, and I have picked up two clear NXDN signals (VHF-hi) so far this afternoon, one at a line-of-sight distance of approximately 30 miles (Diamond RH77CA antenna).

Questions:

1. I programmed eight suspected NXDN frequencies as "NXDN" systems with NXDN RAN: "any" and Talkgroup ID: "0" (0 = Any ID). Are these settings the search equivalents of wildcards for any and all NXDN signals, be they conventional or trunked?

2. Will the TRX-1 find and decode NXDN signals in limit-search mode if the NXDN RAN and Talkgroup ID's settings haven't been entered?

3. Will the TRX-1 find and decode NXDN signals in scan-list mode if the squelch setting is "search"?

4. What is "RAN"? I'll start searching for a definition on my own, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

This has been fun! Thanks again, Wendy and the Whistler Team!

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I've just updated my TRX-1, and I have picked up two clear NXDN signals (VHF-hi) so far this afternoon, one at a line-of-sight distance of approximately 30 miles (Diamond RH77CA antenna).

Questions:

1. I programmed eight suspected NXDN frequencies as "NXDN" systems with NXDN RAN: "any" and Talkgroup ID: "0" (0 = Any ID). Are these settings the search equivalents of wildcards for any and all NXDN signals, be they conventional or trunked?

2. Will the TRX-1 find and decode NXDN signals in limit-search mode if the NXDN RAN and Talkgroup ID's settings haven't been entered?

3. Will the TRX-1 find and decode NXDN signals in scan-list mode if the squelch setting is "search"?

4. What is "RAN"? I'll start searching for a definition on my own, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

This has been fun! Thanks again, Wendy and the Whistler Team!

1. Yes.
2. Don't know
3. Don't know
4. RAN = Radio Access Number. It's sort of like the color code on a DMR channel, or the PL/DPL code in an analog channel, or the NAC code for P25.

Status
Not open for further replies.