Monitoring Philly PD from Delaware County

Status
Not open for further replies.

gb1xyl1

Question for anyone with experience listening to the digital Philly PD freqs in Delco. I wondered if that system would be "hearable" from home in the Springfield Delco area on a digital handheld (with/without a roof antenna?) Tnx!

Septa3371CSX1

I can hear them loud and clear in Lansdowne. I've been able to pick up Philly a good distance away from the city. To check how well and if you can receive it, go into tune mode on your scanner and enter in the control channels one by one. If you can pick up the control channel you should be good.

gb1xyl1

Tnx, Joe. Per your advice, I checked the 2 control channels listed in RR for Philly PD Zone 1 and 2 on my 346XT (analog trunking) scanner and heard "noise" with good signal strength on 1 of the 2 control channels on each zone. This is with just the stock ant. But, not getting all 4 won't cut it for reliable reception that would make investing in a digital HT worth it, right? Or am I confused? Suppose I shoukd plan on a roof antenna (though it would have to be a modest one.) Tnx for your help - and patience.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Each zone has two or three main frequencies for control channel use, and only ONE per each zone will be active at any one time.

You will need a digital unit like the 396XT, as your 346 is analog-only (but it sounds like you know that already!).

gb1xyl1

Tnx, Scott, that is very helpful. I am considering adding a digital scanner but hearing Philadelphia would be a key factor in making that call.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I live in Springfield, right near Beatty and Sproul. Here's my unofficial results with my different scanners/antenna setups:

GRE PSR-500, - Best reception of the Philly TRS with or without attic mounted yagi antenna.
GRE PSR-800 Next best reception, mostly with attic mounted yagi antenna. Reception is good, but digital decoding is fair.
Uniden BCD996T - Poor reception, bordering on undecipherable digital decoding with any antenna.

Also, up until 2 years ago, I lived near Yale & Swarthmore in Springfield. In my move, I gained about 100' in elevation, but only somewhat better reception. My Uniden in my old location was worthless. In Springfield, I think that it matters most whether you are in a hollow or no. Also, I found out that my home has a thin layer of metallic foil on the outer layer of the drywall, which makes for wonderful reception. That said, they only way you will find out is by trying different scanners to see what works best. If you'd like to try out my BCD996T or PSR-500 to test your reception, just let me know.

Hope this helps some,

Rich C

gb1xyl1

Tnx very much for sharing the helpful info and reception reports. I'm adjacent to Indian Rock Park in the Scenic Hills area of town with good elevation (probably similar to yours.) So, I expect my experience might match yours. Helped a lot!

Fred1

I use an 800 mhz quarter wave made out of 12 guage wire mounted 35 ft up works good here in the in the suburban land west of Darby in Collingdale the capital of drug crime east of Chester..

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Most p25 systems were already installed as narrowband so there will be no changes in 2013.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.