Montgomery Co,, Ohio static while listening to trunked system

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackculb

Is it normal to hear much static while listening to the Montgomery Co., Ohio trunked 800 mhz system? I hear it on both a GRE PSR-700 and a RS PRO-197. I have the Primary and Alternate channels programmed.

I even recently purchased two 800 mhz antennas from RS to see if it helped reduce the static. Is the interference static sound just a normal fallout from rebanding?

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Where are you located in regards to Montgomery County? It sounds like it may be something localized to your location.
I am in Miamisburg and receive no static on their signal.They were working on their primary site Friday afternoon,
so it was shut off for a time as they were operating single site from the downtown Dayton site.
It sounds like they are still tweaking the system.

Last edited:

MLW1058

I live in Miamisburg too.. I get some occasional static as well.. Not really sure whats causing it

N8ACU

I seem to experience some kind of interference while scanning the Montgomery County trunk system. I just finished updating my programming on my RS pro 164 to get it up to speed with the rebanding. Everything I plugged in works great now Except Montgomery County sometimes. FYI I live in Xenia.

What happens is when this ‘event’ occurs the scanner display go berserk like it cant lock in on that frequency that is being broadcasted at that moment. It does not affect any particular agency, as I have seen it when Washington Twp Fire is broadcasting as well as Kettering PD.

My thought is there are 2 possibilities...
1- One of the listed trunk frequencies is wrong or slightly off, and the radio tries it’s best to play it, OR

2- There is some kind of intermodulation happening on one of the frequencies.

IF anyone has more information on this I would love to hear it. As for now I am going to try an experiment over the next few weeks. One by One I am going to remove one only frequency at a time and monitor these to see if the issue goes away. At the same Time I have to determine if by doing this I will be losing parts of conversations due to the missing frequency.

I will post my results in this thread.
Again if anyone has other thoughts please jump in.
N8ACU

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I seem to experience some kind of interference while scanning the Montgomery County trunk system. I just finished updating my programming on my RS pro 164 to get it up to speed with the rebanding. Everything I plugged in works great now Except Montgomery County sometimes. FYI I live in Xenia.

If anyone has more information on this I would love to hear it.

Look around for a nearby cellular tower. The GRE scanners seem to be more susceptible to interference / front end overload from other nearby transmitters (including the Sprint/Nextel iDEN system, the same problem plaguing public safety which led to rebanding). In my area it's intermittent; it comes and goes as other frequencies start and stop transmitting.

The iDEN system goes away June 30 of this year and is being replaced by the "new and improved" (ha ha) Sprint network, using the same frequencies.

This interference problem should be greatly reduced once systems are rebanded, but will likely still exist even after that simply due to front end overload.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.