More KSIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
I heard today that the KTA moving in with KSIS (and dropping big $$$) is changing the priority of how it is being implemented. The plan was to do northeast KS next (KC, Lawrence and Topeka up to Nebraska). Instead they will spread the system along the length of the Turnpike - impacting KC, Lawrence, Topeka and Wichita (hope those of you in Wichita who were told P-25 was on the back burner there are paying attention).

I confirmed today that Shawnee County will have 2 seperate trunking systems operating in tandem (off the same tower at I-70 & Gage). The Shawnee County 15 CH Motorola Type II system will continue to handle all city & county services (for now). The state is going to add an 8 channel P-25 digital trunked site tied in with KSIS (necessary for coverage for the KTA).

No word on if state users (e.g. highway patrol) will be required to operate on the new system (wouldn't surprise me- "We've spent all this $$ so you will use it!") and abandon their ability to communicate with local agencies (digital & analog don't mix too well). KCK, Wichita and Topeka Troopers have been operating on the county trunked systems for years.

Last edited:

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
I'll be back in Wichita on the 31st and cross-confirm that with WPD and their radio shop (if they are even aware yet). I'll post what I find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.