More updating

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Over the next couple of weeks of updating, all input tones except for HAM categories is going bye bye, just a heads up.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Glad to see this makes it harder for people to program ebay radios and get on public service channels. I move inputs around just to get to sleep or keep users that do not belong off our system. System programmer Lt. Firefighter.

SDavis90

why? i use those just as much as the output freqs tones.

Have to agree because I use input tones to listen to lifeflight because their repeater is too far to pick up for me. This way i still get one way traffic from aircraft. Since they are typically in the business bands it helps filter out the other users.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
The input tones listed in the descriptions etc.. They are in violation of DB Admin Handbook regs, so away they go.. If anyone wants to put a listing in the wiki, that is fine and dandy unless the admin staff posts rules against such. Our rules state only HAM input tones are to be listed.. And since I have been among other admins that are way too lax on this, I am fixing it in my states. Gonna get my ships ship shape so I don't get shipped out lol.

I have our tones in the listing so if we have a disaster a Com-L person can have everything they need to do programming. Also our county departments buy radio from different dealer and they are always calling wanting the information I refer them RR for this. I also use tone information to program surrounding county into our radios for mutual aid. I understand that this a violation of DB Admin Handbook regs can these regs be changed and what would it take to change them.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
One of the reasons we are not supposed to be listing them is that we do not want folks using the data to program "E-Bay Radios" and cause interference etc on Public Safety Comms. Every Agency has its own radio shop that has the information to program the radios, whether this is an actual part of the agency, or an authorized retailer. You can compile a personal listing of the data at any time, or even do your own wiki page as this is not currently forbidden to do.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
It does not take much effort to listen to the input and decode the tones.
This is one reason many PS are going to trunking where access is more readily controlled and a rogue radio can be killed. That said it is rare to hear of someone deliberately interfering and hams are often enlisted to locate the perpetrator using our capability to foxhunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.